AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Top performing keywords in single adgroup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My agency has taken top 300 converting keywords and grouped in single adgroup with 30-40 ads. Please let me know if this is correct strategy or do i need to group them as per their themes and not their performance.

Regards,

Pratik.

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Top performing keywords in single adgroup

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Pratik,

It  is a good strategy to group better performing keywords in to seperate ad groups and monitor/optimize them for better performance.

But the keyword grouping should be based on specific themes (Converting keywords of a single theme in a seperate ad group). With specific tightly themed ad groups you will be able to write very specific ad copies, which will be very important in improving the performance of these keywords.

Hope this helps,

Info

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply.

Problem is keywords are not thematic based and also is it fine to use 30 ads in single adgroup. Should we use thematic adgroups with max 2-3 ads. Please suggest.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Pratik and welcome,

Honestly, using 30 ad copies in single ad group doesn't look to be a wise strategy. If you think logically how many times your all 30 ad copies will be entered into auction process and that too from within a single ad group. It will also depend upon what kind of ad rotation settings you have.

I would suggest you to split one ad group into multi ad groups theme wise and include max 3 or 4 ad copies per ad group on testing basis. Then watch the performance of all the ad copies along with their keywords and see what works and what not.

Read this article for more details on how to structure your account: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375470/?hl=en&

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Pratik,

I'll make this quick and simple. It is very rarely a good idea to create an AdGroup with 300 keywords, particularly if they do not share a theme, and 30 ads in a AdGroup is most often way too many.

If you pulled these keywords from tightly themed ad groups, where the ad copy matches up to the keywords pretty well and place them all in one AdGroup, I would bet you will see a siginificant drop in performance of those keywords.

Perhaps your agency is thinking AdWords will match your keyword to the appropriate ad within the group. It doesn't work like that! If you have set you ads for even rotation, the ad is selected more or less at random from all the ads in the group. I would ask them what the heck they were thinking and why they thought it was a good idea. And I would be tempted to go find a more experienced agency to handle your account if they can't provide a very good answer.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete,

I have also grouped keywords based on their performance but still I am getting very good quality score (ranging from 7-10). So do you still think that changing the structure will do any further good for my campaign.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Mreenal

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

hi Mreenal,

That would be hard to say without more information about your account structure. If you want to provide that, please start a new thread and we will see what we can do for you.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

The fact that all the keywords have a good quality score - or that they all convert well, is not as theme... keywoprds will work best when they are segmented by theme... thus all my blue widget keywords will trigger a blue widget ad and then go to a blue widget landing page... my red ones to their ad and page.

300 is most likely too many to group together to get this type of continuity across the stages - and the camapigns will work better if they are "themed" as other suggest. It simply makes more sense.

I do, however, often separate out the top performers within an ad agroup and put them in their own campaign - often this will be with just a few keywords, and one ad group - with probably three of four ads (so I can tweak the poorer performer regularly).

The reason foir this is that Ib can manage the budget allocation to this group. since most clients do not have bottomless pockets, it makes sense to me to concentrate the budget where it's getting the best return - I understand the logivc behind the "long tail keywords" but I can never seem to make it work in high enough volumnes to make a significant difference. Sure it's great to get a conversion on a long tail keyword that costs a fraction of what my core keywords convert at, but one or two of those a year will not keep the client in business.

My recommendation: work hard on the core. Segment and tighten as much as possible.