AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Thoughts about excluding Below the Fold on GDN campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Guys, 

I'm curious about the ability to exclude 'Below the Fold' targeting. What are people's experience with it? 

Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Thoughts about excluding Below the Fold on GDN campaign

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Triple C,

Welcome to adwords community. In exclude there will be two option.
1. Site category
2.Campaign placement exclusions

Site Category :- Site category options are types of Google Display Network sites, content, and ad placements that you can allow or exclude. With more than 20 site category options for your Display Network campaigns – such as live streaming video, social networks, and ad placements shown below-the-fold – you’ll have more control over where your ads show on the Display Network. for more go with this link,
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3306596?hl=en

2. Campaign placement exclusions:- you can target placements in the Google Display Network to show your ads – like specific pages, sites, mobile apps, and video – you can also exclude placements where you don't want your ads to show. In particular, you might exclude websites or domains that aren’t appropriate for your brand and that aren’t helping you sell your products or services. For more go with this link.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454012?hl=en

Hope it helps you.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Triple C,

On the face of it it sounds like an excellent idea - after all, why have your Ads on a page if no one is going to see them, right?  However, you'd have to assess whether the placements for your Ads include pages where people will typically scroll down.  

In short, as with almost all things AdWords, the best option is simply to test for yourself.  Make sure you have a decent amount of data for a Campaign where Ads are allowed to show below the fold, then change the setting and monitor for another period of decent data.  Note that you may well find that the setting works better for some placements than others (as I've said above) so you could end up having to split your Campaign(s) up, some excluding below-the-fold, others not.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
There are a couple of points to add here:

If you are paying per click then it really doesn't matter if a visitor sees the ad or not - I know it will affect the CTR slightly, but in reality, you're not paying for an ad that isn't seen.

But, perhaps more importantly - if a person scrolls down through a page and then sees your ad it would suggest that the person is more engaged with the content, and, therefore (if you've targeted correctly) is more likely to be a better prospect for you. Certainly better than person who spends a couple of seconds on a page, and sees your header ad.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

This is a nice question:

Reiterating was said by @stickleback; You are not paying unless the ad is clicked;

One additional point: with   today's widescreen displays of 24-27-29",  and responsive websites, the notation of "below the fold" and "above the fold" starts to lose the meaning it had in the past, and users scroll anyway.. I do not exclude

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
The issue reappears if you are using the CPM model - where estimates suggest that around 30% of all ads are never actually seen by users.... there was talk (in fact I think it was more than talk) that Google were going to only charge a "view" if the ad had actually been visible for at least one second, but this ran into problems when it became clear that what is loaded and what is visible in a viewport are two very different things.

I know that the answer becomes boring - but, test. And then test and then test some more.

I have a kind of love hate relationship with below the fold ads. When clients are looking to get impressions as a priority then a CPM model works best - often, even if you take out 30% of the impressions!

If they are looking for clicks then the problem solves itself, as mentioned earlier it then doesn't really matter if the viewer saw the ad or not.

The really interesting situation is when an ad appears below the fold, is never seen, and then triggers a view through conversion later on... this is the equivalent of claiming effectiveness of an ad in a magazine because it was in a magazine that was in a dentist's waiting room when I went to have a filling three weeks before I bought your product... even though I didn't touch the magazine.

I used to exclude almost as a matter of course, now I don't - in most cases. But then I am generally using the CPC model.