AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

This keyword is triggering ads from another ad group with a similar keyword

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

This keyword is triggering ads from another ad group with a similar keyword: "vietnam visa"
Belgium > Vietnam Visa Brussels What can I do?

My keyword is : [vietnam visa cost]

What should I do next ? remove [vietnam visa cost] or raise bid of this exact keyword ? If I raise bid [vietnam visa cost] in current ad group will be triggered and phrase match "vietnam visa" wont be triggerd with vietnam visa cost query  ?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author KhanhLa
September 2015

Re: This keyword is triggering ads from another ad group with a similar keyword

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi KhanhLa,

You can use negative Keywords at the ad group level to stop certian matches from happening. 

This thread, that you were part of, addresses this a bit. 

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Ads-and-keywords-mismatch/m-p/14266#M1171

Also, you should try to understand what happens when multiple keywords match for a search query.

Based on what I already know about what you are trying to do...I think you really need to look hard at your targeting options, account structure and strategy. 

You've already established that you are using one set of keywords for all of your campaigns and ad groups.  This matching for other ad groups is going to happen for each area you're targeting unless you employ specific negative keywords at the ad group level to exclude the matches or you may need to alter the way your campaign targeting is set up.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi KhanhLa,

If depends a little on the match type for your keyword vietnam visa. Google more or less assumes you would bidder higher on the more restrictive match type. More accurately, the qualifying keyword with the higher ad rank (QS * Max Bid) will enter the general auction for placement. So it does depend a bit on the comparative QS of the two keywords.

Let's say the QS is the same for your 2 keywords. In that case, you would need to bid higher on the exact match phrase if you want it to take precedence for placement.

Now, let's say the QS for your exact phrase match is higher. In that case, you would not necessarily need to bid higher on the exact match phrase.

The other option is to add the exact match keyword as a negative exact match to the ad group with the less restrictive match type.

Bets of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi KhanhLa,

You can use negative Keywords at the ad group level to stop certian matches from happening. 

This thread, that you were part of, addresses this a bit. 

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Ads-and-keywords-mismatch/m-p/14266#M1171

Also, you should try to understand what happens when multiple keywords match for a search query.

Based on what I already know about what you are trying to do...I think you really need to look hard at your targeting options, account structure and strategy. 

You've already established that you are using one set of keywords for all of your campaigns and ad groups.  This matching for other ad groups is going to happen for each area you're targeting unless you employ specific negative keywords at the ad group level to exclude the matches or you may need to alter the way your campaign targeting is set up.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi KhanhLa,

If depends a little on the match type for your keyword vietnam visa. Google more or less assumes you would bidder higher on the more restrictive match type. More accurately, the qualifying keyword with the higher ad rank (QS * Max Bid) will enter the general auction for placement. So it does depend a bit on the comparative QS of the two keywords.

Let's say the QS is the same for your 2 keywords. In that case, you would need to bid higher on the exact match phrase if you want it to take precedence for placement.

Now, let's say the QS for your exact phrase match is higher. In that case, you would not necessarily need to bid higher on the exact match phrase.

The other option is to add the exact match keyword as a negative exact match to the ad group with the less restrictive match type.

Bets of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords