AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Third Party Remarketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

We recently contracted with an outside marketing company to do some work for us. They set up an Adwords campaign (I can see Google/cpc traffic coming in through my Google Analytics, but with no information about campaign, etc. and I have a warning "Incomplete AdWords Linking") and now they tell me that they will be doing remarketing. They do not have access to my website, nor to my Adwords account and remarketing isn't even set up for this site, so how could such a thing work? Might they be sending traffic to a page on their site and then redirecting? But would that show up in my Analytics as cpc?

Thank you for any light you can shed!

Linda

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Third Party Remarketing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Linda V;

2 points to note:

1. You should link AdWords and Analytics so AdWords metrics are transferred to Analytics;
  2. Any re-marketing / re-targeting platform I  know requires a code on the website. Why don't you ask them how they plan to do that?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV,
Thanks for the quick reply! I can't get an answer because they do not know what they are doing but don't want to let on. It seems that they have subcontracted to some unknown others and I am trying to figure out how to make the best of a bad situation. They did drive a lot of traffic to the page via their Adwords campaign and I wouldn't mind doing some remarketing myself (I am certainly not going to give them any more money) but when I actually thought about it, I realized that I didn't even know how they could have set it up to begin with... :-/
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Linda V,

If they don't have access to your AdWords account, they must have created an account themselves. If they can't access your GA account, there's not much point in linking but they may have tried to do that.

When you contract an agency to do AdWords for you, insist they use the account you own. Link that account to GA to get AdWords data. If they are not willing or able to give you admin access to the account they are using, fire them yesterday. They're not doing business properly.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I second Pete on that. 

I did not realize that they run another AdWords account. (Which is BTW, a violation of the "gain unfair advantage" section of the Policy)

You must have access to an account promoting your business. - This is   fundamental when hiring an agency.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I did not even know that someone could create an Adwords account for a domain that they do not own, though I guess it should have been obvious, since they were sending paid traffic somehow. The problem with having them use our account is that I'd then have to give them access to not only the campaign they are running, but also my other ones. Or is that not correct?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, it seems I have to do more digging on this one. Thanks to both you and Pete for your replies!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Linda V;

Some more checks are needed, but if you promote on the separate account a different product, generally speaking, this should be OK. (As long as you don't promote the same or similar product simultaneously from both accounts)

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Linda V,

Yes, that is correct. You can't grant access to only certain campaigns. On the other hand, if they have set up a separate account for you, you should insist on complete access to that account.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
They are promoting a similar product to our other products.