AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

There was a problem retrieving ideas, please try again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using the Google Keyword Planner on adwords.google.com and I regularly have been getting this message for the last few weeks: There was a problem retrieving ideas, please try again.

I happens when I type in a sample keyword or search phrase, and where the results should be displayed it gives that error. Why is it starting to bring up this message now but it never has before?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: There was a problem retrieving ideas, please try again.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Camy L,

Did you try clearing your cache and cookies? If it does not help, do let us know. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm also getting this error. The only way I can fix it by constantly clicking get ideas until the results show. Also, if I try to sort the results in way, I get the error. Pretty annoying.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Which cookies I should clean - I can not clean all cookies since it is. Is it realy help if bug is random.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Having this same issue. Dumped my cache and cookies, tried multiple browsers. The keyword planner rarely generates keyword ideas, and when it does I can't save them to a plan.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Restarting and deleting can not fix bad software code. Coding is not magic it need a lot of thinking. Solid code rather not gives random errors they more often fail or not.

Problem is in AdWords API which has not working Quota Controller on Google farm.

After study Ajax/XHR I found bug -> https://goo.gl/sd7n4j

Quota Controller generate random errors it is probably because share memory overwrites or invalid authentication - normally according Google API documentation this error should happen after 10 000 of request or to frequent request but it happen on 1st request.

Probably some memcache overwrites and some security overflow since Quota Controller should stop future requests but it not stops but discard 80% of them without any reason. Or something wrong with parallelization which is coding hell for majority of developers and need big head.

Ask Google to solve bug if you know how.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Still randomly happens and WASTES A LOT OF TIME. I hope Google fixes this soonest.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies sine it is from 2015.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.