AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

There's a number that’s not mine showing with my ad.

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

We’ve had a few questions regarding an unfamiliar number showing with ads on the Search Network recently. Advertisers don't know what this is and occasionally prefer to show their own phone number instead. 

Juliana is here to give us some insight into why you might see this and what your options are for showing phone numbers in your ad. 

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JulianaS (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: There's a number that’s not mine showing with my ad.

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

For the above scenario likely, the number you are seeing alongside your ads is a Google forwarding phone number, which is a free, optional number you can use to track all calls that specifically came from your advertising with AdWords. Using the forwarding number, you’ll be able to review data such as device from which call was made, length and time of call, and the area code of the number from which the call was made.

You can also count calls with the Google forwarding number that last a certain amount of time as a conversion and use the data to implement an advanced bidding method. If you feel unease at displaying a number which isn’t your own, you also have the option to disable the forwarding number by completing the steps outlined below.

1. In the “Edit phone number” window, next to to “Show my ad with” select My own phone number (don’t use call reporting).
  2. Click Save.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hannah when did you create your account with Google? Did you create this before 1st January 2003?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi Sky B,

Thanks for being willing to help. This is more of a hypothetical question but if you have any more details to add to Juliana's answer, please do!

-Hannah

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hannah i'm also having the same problem with my ads. if you got the solution about that then please let me know the steps. coz i'm not able to follow the steps juliana stated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"Using the forwarding number, you’ll be able to review data such as device from which call was made..."
- Does this mean that, if you Don't use the Google forwarding number as the displayed number, you won't be able to review any data?

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!