AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Theoretical mass campaign question

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm posting this in the "new advertisers" forum, but I think it's a fairly advanced question when it comes to strategy.

We run a web agency that's capable of developing websites and marketing products for pretty much any industry, product or service. As marketers, we understand that relevancy of ad copy + landing is critical in both the Adwords search + display networks. It improves CTR and the likelihood that you'll score higher.

Theoretically, our methods to develop websites and marketing products, has been optimized to fit a variety of industries, types of products and services. So leading to my main question...

If you could build a list of 3000+ product and services, and shape the long tail search terms to bid on phrases like:

• Promote your eyewear business
  • Build an eyewear website
  • Build an eyewear store
  • Market your eyewear business
  • Sell your eyewear products online

or

• Promote your window repair business
  • Build a window repair website
  • Get a window repair quote
  • Market your window repair business
  • Sell your window repair services

And basically do this over and over for about 3000+ products and services, and have unique landing pages for each product and service -- how do you think it would perform in terms of costs, search volume, display volume, CTR and effectiveness to draw in new business? (Targeting North America, Desktop)

* Remember that the landing pages would be HIGHLY optimized, well designed, and each contain a great offer.

The reason why I ask is because we have the ability to create such mass scale campaign, and I'd like guess how it perform compared to bidding on more general terms like "web marketing services" "web development services" etc. The whole point of my main question is to find out how relevancy + beautiful landing page + designed for conversion + mass scale could realistically perform.

Cheers,

Michal

Re: Theoretical mass campaign question

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Michal,

First of all thanks for posting such a good and long question Smiley Happy. I hope it took you some time to write it down. I will be happy to answer this one and will try my best.

First thing it's a very nice idea to have different landing pages for different product and services which will help you in getting good quality score for your keywords. The quality score will reduce your CPC to some extent but remember that landing page experience is also taken into consideration in calculation of quality score. If you have a huge website with so many pages then what will happen to page load time. What about the cost of managing so many webpages. Will this cost be more than what you will be saving from your CPC with good quality score.

Do you have so many different web designs to offer for each product and service that it makes sense to have different webpages for each service?

Now to point one more thing, is it good to have so many pages for a website design company when you have people searching more with generic search terms like web designer, website design company etc.., when compared to "eye wear website designer" etc..,

In my point of view it is a good idea like e-commerce website which has so many pages but I think the cost of maintaining it would be more. Not only that you will be also be increasing cost on maintaining your AdWords campaign. I would also suggest you to see the search volume of the search terms you listed to see whether you have enough search volume.

I would still go with a simple website showing different designs rather than complicating my website and make sure user have better experience with my website and get conversions.  

Thanks,
Rahul

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Rahul,

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions:

1. Load time will not be affected. All of our landing pages in our methodology are individually contained, and optimized for optimal speeds. Also, all of our images are optimized + minimized. Same goes for javascript + structure of the page's code. It's A+ work.

2. We use a descriptive file naming convention for our file system architecture + file names, which allows us to manage things very effectively. We've connected our code directly to Google Analytic's experiments API, allowing us to do split testing directly in our HTML/CSS (very effective method to manage variation testing).

3. The reason for my idea is for the fact of being able to be relevant for each search query on google with an appropriate ad + landing page which contains all the elements + keywords + context for what the person was searching. Based on my understanding of the Adwords platform, Google rewards advertisers with lower costs for being more relevant. I've also understood that by bidding on specific search queries, we could distance ourselves from the "saturated market" of competitors bidding on all the "generic terms" -- hence lowering our costs and increasing likelihood of conversion.

4. You're exactly spot on -- it's the approach of directory-styled ecommerce, but for a service based business

5. Theoretically, if I could achieve all that, and setup a campaign for close to 3000+ products and services, do you think it would work?

I looked into the keyword planner tool + forecast tool provided by Adwords, and I most of the thousand of individual products + services generated 0 impressions + clicks. Is the forecasting tool accurate in your opinion?

Cheers,

Michal

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Michal,

I think that could work well but I would just be really careful about making sure that the content is helpful. If Google sees them as doorway pages, they might not allow you to use them based upon their abuse of the network policy on delivering traffic to low quality pages. As long as you make each page helpful and unique, I think there is a lot of potential.

One side note about the keywords you mentioned above, make sure you're bidding on the keywords that the searcher would search. For instance, instead of "promote your eyewear business" it would be "promote my eyewear business". The individual volume of each keyword will be fairly low but it would add up.

It's hard to say what the volume would be, especially without knowing what geographies you are targeting and all of the different categories but, knowing you are targeting 3000 services, I would say you would get some decent traction. Just make sure your geo-targeting isn't too constrained or many of your long-tail keywords might be marked as "low search volume" and won't compete in auctions.

Best,
Amy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the great insights. My questions to you are:

1. What would qualify for a page being a "doorway page"? Because I mean from a stand point of my business, the way you sell web development and marketing services to 1 business over the other isn't necessarily different. In the end we still build products in the same way, whether it's for an eyewear store, or window fixing service. So if my landing page are constructed to have keyword changes, completely new videos for each one of the 3000 pages (I plan on doing sales videos), a bit of content changes here and there, images changes, meta property changes -- would Google qualify my pages as being "doorway pages"? I mean they'll be highly relevant to the context of the searched term, and will be relevant to the desire of the visitor. The only thing is that in some way they'll hold a very similar structure from one to the other (plus minus).

2. Would my quality score be high if I took such approach?

Cheers,

Michal

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Michal,

Here is Google's definition of a doorway page:
"Doorway pages are typically large sets of poor-quality pages where each page is optimized for a specific keyword or phrase. In many cases, doorway pages are written to rank for a particular phrase and then funnel users to a single destination. Whether deployed across many domains or established within one domain, doorway pages tend to frustrate users."

Basically, a doorway page is when a bunch of landing pages are almost exactly the same and funnel users to the same page. It doesn't sound like you are funneling users, so you are probably okay. It's typically more of an SEO violation but it is mentioned in their advertiser policies, which is why I bring it up.

Speaking of SEO, your pages rank organically, it's not unlikely that they will be flagged and get de-indexed. If they are unique enough, they would probably be fine.  Still, you might want to consider putting them on a separate subdomain so that if they are de-indexed, your whole site won't take the fall. Or, you can set up a robots.txt file and ask Google not to crawl your landing pages. That way you are self-selecting not to compete organically for these pages and you don't have to worry about your whole site being de-indexed if they are flagged.  

As far as quality score, I can't promise that it will be good because there are so many factors but I would say that the landing page portion of your quality score would be high.

hope this helps!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Amy. I planned to only used these pages for Adword campaigns, so I'd actually set the noindex meta property to avoid getting ranked.

Given the nature of the phrases I list in my original post, would you suggest I use exact match type?

Thanks for your help!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Awesome! I would use exact, phrase and modified broad. Exact match will probably have very little volume, if at all. Phrase will have a little more and then modified broad will have a little more. Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Great, I guess that with every different set of match types, you get into a "lesser" qualified potential visitor -- since exact match are usually the holy grails?

Also, as far as ad copy goes, do you usually write different ad copy for different match types? Or you remain consistent? I'm afraid that by deviating from exact match, you lessen the likelihood of attracting those perfect visitors to your landing page, and increasing the costs of the campaign. To fight that, you can usually set more direct ad copy which defers unwanted clicks?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Well.. kind of. If you use phrase match, often the queries aren't too far different from exact match. They typically just have an extra word here and there. Keep a close eye on the search query report but, most of your traffic should be highly relevant. Modified broad just depends on how many modifiers you use.

For instance if you used:
[build online eyewear store]
"build online eyewear store"
+build +online +eyewear +store

Those all should be fairly relevant. Since the modified broad can be searched in any order, you could get some irrelevant clicks. With close variants, you're probably going to get some irrelevant searches on any match type.

As for ad copy, the searches you get likely won't vary enough to write different ad copy by match type. Plus, to show different ad copy by match type you would have to split out your ad groups by match type. I'm not against this, by any means, but for 3000 services, that could get messy pretty quickly.