AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show.

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I'm running into the weirdest scenario.  I have a campaign set up with tons of keywords in it.  The settings on my account are:

Locations: Targeted Locations: United States

Advanced Location Options: Target > People searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location, Exclude > 

I have multitudes of keyword variations but only 3 are not showing:

Lawrenceville NJ auto insurance (Error on Top: The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Trenton, New Jersey, United States)

auto insurance princeton (Error on Top: The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Princeton, New Jersey, United States)

Auto Insurance Princeton NJ (Error on Top: The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Princeton, New Jersey, United States)

The crazy thing is I have so many similar keywords (example: Lawrenceville NJ Home Insurance, Insurance Lawrenceville NJ, Home Insurance Princeton, Insurance Princeton NJ) and they all show fine and don't have that weird error message.  

Any ideas??

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Location targeting various states in the US

Top Contributor
# 14
Top Contributor

Yep, I finally fixed it.  What I had to do:

Target: People searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location

Locations Targeted: Trenton, NJ (Keywords in Lawrenceville show if you target Trenton...)

Keywords> changed "lawrenceville nj auto insurance" to "auto insurance" and now the ad shows for "lawrenceville nj auto insurance".

Crazy stuff....

Owner of Sterling Sky

View solution in original post

Re: The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joy,

It really sounds weird and I'v never bumped into this error message. As yet. What I know is that the Location Targeting feature was just recently upgraded and what you experience should be associated with initial bugs. The good news is that as you've also noted the issue is only affecting a few percentage of keywords.

FYI: I'd note that location terms in keywords could not affect where your ads show till now. Maybe Google is in the process of changing this rule but I've not seen anything disclosed on it publicly.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

JoyHawkins; welcome to AdWords Community;

Could you be clear on the advanced targeting option? Is the advanced set to "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location"? 

If this advanced setting is  checked;  why aren't you putting  a  separate campaign for every geographic region you are targeting (e.g NJ), instead of having this endless list of location keywords.?

-Moshe

PS: you might want to read this wiki article on An Introduction to AdWords Targeting

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey MosheTLV  - I have it set to "People searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location"

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I should also mention to Lakatos that I do think maybe it's a bug or quirk because I accidentally paused 1 keyword and then unpaused it and now that keyword has the error message too. It didn't before!

Owner of Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Have those keywords ever generated an ad impression?  Are you certain that you have not accidentally added anything to your excluded locations list that would cause this to happen?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

JoyHawkins;

Why not the default setting:  "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location"?

JoyHawkins wrote:

Hey MosheTLV  - I have it set to "People searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Yep, my first thought was it was a bug but then there is the weird error message that I've never seen, since 2006 when I started AdWords. A random bug is not very likely to word the message and display it. That's what makes me think Google might also be up to some changes we don't know about.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You might also consider just switching your targeting options to "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location" unless you have a specific reason not to.  Consider this example provided by Google here based on your current settings.

"Consider your Napa vineyard again. You decide you want to reach any people in the U.S. who are searching for wine from California. A customer in New York, California, or any other part of the U.S. who searches for california wine can now see your ad.

However, if a customer in California searches only for wine, she won't be able to see your ad. And suppose a Parisian searches for california wine? Since he isn't located in the same country as the targeted location, California, he won't be able to see your ad either."

Again, just switch your targeting method and you should be fine.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@PPC Mac > yes they have generated impressions and no there is nothing on my exclusion list - I double-checked.

@Moshe >  I forgot to mention, that was the original setting I had, but I changed it to see if it made a difference (it didn't).

@Lakatos > I find it weird that it says "Trenton, NJ" is keeping my ads from showing, then realized that Google doesn't have a location for Lawrenceville, NJ (if I specifically wanted to target Lawrenceville vs. the entire US, Lawrenceville NJ isn't an option).  When I type that into the targetting options, it lists "Trenton, NJ".  I was wondering if that had anything to do with it but that still wouldn't explain the error I got on Princeton. 

Owner of Sterling Sky