AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

The effects of duplicate keywords for different campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I've got a query to do with the use of duplicate keywords across multiple campaigns.

I work for a publication subscriptions service, selling subscriptions to our journals and magazines. We have 50 products in our catalogue, which can be broken down into 10 industry areas.

In terms of PPC, I have set up individual campaigns for each product. The problem lies in the keywords lists I will be using. With mutiple products that deal specifically with the same industry area it is necessary to include the same keywords in multiple campaigns, so as to avoid missing out on significant areas of relevant traffic. However, I'd like to know how this can negatively effect campaign performance (e.g low quality score, costs), and if there is any work around to avoid it?

Any advice much appreciated!

Kind regards,

David

4 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rosiel (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: The effects of duplicate keywords for different campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello David,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Please note that at one time, only one keyword per account is allowed to trigger an ad. So, in case you are using duplicate keywords across different campaigns, Adwords will only choose one keywords based on various factors like relevancy, search query etc...to trigger an ad from your account.

Duplicate keywords are certainly not recommended as far as the best practices are concerned. It ultimately degrades the performance of your account in the sense that Quality Score will decrease leading to low ad rank, which can badly affect the business you are dealing with.

One exception to using similar keywords is if you are targeting them in different regions. That's certainly allowed.

I am not quite sure that if you have 50 products broken down into 10 industry areas, then how actually you are trying to structure the campaigns using similar keywords. I don't think that there should be scarcity of keywords if you happen to explore ideas from keyword tool, Google insight for search.

If there are 50 products, you can try inputting the website URL in keyword tool to get the best variations for you. Then work around the keywords to collect together in the form of theme based ad groups and I am sure you will have ample amount of opportunities.

You can refer to this article to see how to build best keyword list.

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello hammynothamster

I will add to Pankaj answer, that when similar keywords are used in different campaigns or adgroups they compete among themselves. It's not an easy task (though possible) to predict which one will trigger the ad. You can find yourself seeing the wrong add triggered by a keyword serving multiple campaigns .

There are two approaches to tackle the issue: one to fully understand the various options of "what happens when several keywords match the search query? ; or as Pankaj suggested, to re-structure your campaigns differently.

As for the first option there is a 3 part article to read ; here is a link to the first part. You can easily find the other parts after reading the first:

When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used? - Part 1

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello David,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Please note that at one time, only one keyword per account is allowed to trigger an ad. So, in case you are using duplicate keywords across different campaigns, Adwords will only choose one keywords based on various factors like relevancy, search query etc...to trigger an ad from your account.

Duplicate keywords are certainly not recommended as far as the best practices are concerned. It ultimately degrades the performance of your account in the sense that Quality Score will decrease leading to low ad rank, which can badly affect the business you are dealing with.

One exception to using similar keywords is if you are targeting them in different regions. That's certainly allowed.

I am not quite sure that if you have 50 products broken down into 10 industry areas, then how actually you are trying to structure the campaigns using similar keywords. I don't think that there should be scarcity of keywords if you happen to explore ideas from keyword tool, Google insight for search.

If there are 50 products, you can try inputting the website URL in keyword tool to get the best variations for you. Then work around the keywords to collect together in the form of theme based ad groups and I am sure you will have ample amount of opportunities.

You can refer to this article to see how to build best keyword list.

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Welcome To Our Growing Community,

Please enlighten me some more:

Different campaigns, different domains? Is that Search Vs Display or all search or all display?

Can you give me an idea how closely related each services are and not duplicating the keywords would cause missed traffic to each group?

Looking forward for your response.

More Power,
Loraine
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello hammynothamster

I will add to Pankaj answer, that when similar keywords are used in different campaigns or adgroups they compete among themselves. It's not an easy task (though possible) to predict which one will trigger the ad. You can find yourself seeing the wrong add triggered by a keyword serving multiple campaigns .

There are two approaches to tackle the issue: one to fully understand the various options of "what happens when several keywords match the search query? ; or as Pankaj suggested, to re-structure your campaigns differently.

As for the first option there is a 3 part article to read ; here is a link to the first part. You can easily find the other parts after reading the first:

When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used? - Part 1

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

There are some great ideas here! Thanks everybody.

Having overlapping keywords is definitely not going to help your campaigns run smoothly. In this case you may wish to consider reducing the number of your ad groups to try and avoid overlapping keywords? Or as Pankaj suggessted you could use the Keyword Tool to try and think of some new keywords based on your website, or a particualr theme. 

Hope that helps a little. 

A. 

Re: When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey Guys and Gals,

You know...I was looking for the official help docs on this topic not long ago...where did they go?  There used to be a great explanation of what the process was for all sorts of scenarios.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

That's a good question Tom;

It was removed sometime ago from the help center. We should ask to bring it back

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I think I understand your issue. These products under your subscription listing has a common denominator of broad match keywords.Avoiding such major traffic keywords may bring unequal exposure and may favor such account where the major keywords belong to. I know you are concerned that that this may lead to unequal ROI between your advertisers as well & yielding favorable results to some better than the others.

AdWords Experts:

Can you please explain how exactly the duplicate keywords negatively impact my over all campaign performance?How does internal competition becomes a disadvantage?

More Power,
Loraine

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@LoraineQuiaoit;

Check the link I gave in my answer

LoraineQuiaoit wrote:

AdWords Experts:

Can you please explain how exactly the duplicate keywords negatively impact my over all campaign performance?How does internal competition becomes a disadvantage?

LoraineQuiaoit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks everyone! You've been a great help.

I thought it best to avoid duplicate keywords, so a restructure is necessary, one that favours our more significant products.

Very happy to have joined this community!