AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

The Dynamic Remarketing Tag ecomm_totalvalue should include or not the VAT?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was following the instructions for a Retail website from here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3103357

and here:

https://developers.google.com/adwords-remarketing-tag/parameters#retail-sites

and it's saying that:

ecomm_totalvalue - "Total value is the value of the product. On "cart" pages with multiple products, total value is the sum of all items."

However there is no information if that total value should include or not the VAT.

How should someone handle this? Is there an official doc where this is specified?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

Whether you include tax and shipping in your ecomm_totalvalue is completely your decision. Its a business call , you have to decide you want to attribute tax and shipping as part of revenue or not. 

Most of my clients include tax but dont include shipping in ecomm_totalvalue.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Developer H
November 2016

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

The ecomm_totalvalue is to help Google decide which products to show in your dynamic remarketing campaign. For example, if the average visitor looks at 3 products, but are more likely to convert when shown the cheapest of these products in remarketing ads, Google could use that information to show the cheaper products more often. 

I doubt including VAT or not would make any difference. Google isn't displaying the price or comparing it to other retailers - it is purely for comparing the remarketing ability for products within your site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks!

This makes most sense because I didn't notice any difference if including or not the VAT in the ecomm_totalvalue. Also the prices showing up in the Google Merchant Center are those from the provided feed (which has its own rules regarding VAT depending on the country).