AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

The 90's called. They want their retargeting ads back.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This isn't so much a question as a message to Google, whom I assume reads this forum. (Unless I'm totally missing the options somewhere, but I did spend a good time looking around at them.)

I'm referring to the dynamically created re-targeting ads that are based on a product feed, and on the product a person previously viewed.

When I saw my competitor's re-targeting ads, I thought they were ugly because my competitors didn't have a good graphics staff, or just didn't care about design. In trying to create my own, I've come to realize it's not their fault. As far as I can tell, the settings simply don't exist that would allow a decent designer (or anyone who's first language isn't Braille)  to make a nice looking ad.

Sure, there are some "advanced options" like the outer border, and the headline color. But there are just as many critical settings missing. This would be less of an issue if the defaults looked good, but as it stands now, I'm embarrassed to put my company logo on these ads. It looks the way websites did in 1998.

Without further ado, here's my list of graphic faux pas that there aren't settings to fix:

1. Border color around the images - It defaults to solid black, and adds insult to injury by adding a gaudy black shadow around it. The ads would look 1000 times better if the default was something a bit softer like a #444, with a more subtle shadow, or even no shadow. ...Like the border that Google uses on every other component on their sites where the element appears slightly raised. I believe they call this a "card" in their style guide.

2. No way to change font face, and the default is hideous. It also has a drop shadow with a teenage-girl-trying-eye-shadow-for-the-first-time lack of subtlety. Goggle has a huge repository of free web fonts. Why can't we choose from those? Or at the very least, pick something nice looking for us to be stuck with. How about Open Sans Semi-bold?

3. Lack of font-weight. The buy now button would look much better with a smaller font, and a semi-bold, or bold weight. There is currently no way to set font-weights.

4. Can't set size of button font, see above.

5. Button border radius should be a pixel value, not on or off.

6. Button should take an image, or CSS code. CSS3 allows for nice looking buttons with box shadow, text-shadow, and semi-transparent borders. You can use CSS transitions for nice hover effects. Why can't these be enabled for retargeting ads? At the very least, we need button padding to give the text some room to breath, its cramped against the edges right now.

7. Image padding - there is a setting to pad the logo, but not the images. Also, the pictures aren't centered within the border. A bit of padding-top would be nice.

8. The carousel arrows aren't vertically centered. And the colors can't be modified?

I searched on Google for any other posts on this and am surprised that no one has brought it up before. Google has designers. It would take about 4 hours of a designer's time to fix up the defaults to make these ads look nice. Or at the very least, expand the controls so that we can do so ourselves. It's very frustrating to have such amateur looking design errors on our ads, and no way that we can fix it.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: The 90's called. They want their retargeting ads back.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Cute title Nick.

Yeah, they're not perfect...that's easy to see and I cannot speak intelligently as to why. One suggestion I would make, based on my experience of watching how Google's products evolve, is that perhaps they're trying to keep things simple.  

Google loves this kind of feedback though.

Have you considered exploring additional products and ways to get to your end goal? I haven't looked too deeply but I read that you can potentially combine your efforts through Google web designer with DoubleClick remarketing.

Just a thought.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: The 90's called. They want their retargeting ads back.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Cute title Nick.

Yeah, they're not perfect...that's easy to see and I cannot speak intelligently as to why. One suggestion I would make, based on my experience of watching how Google's products evolve, is that perhaps they're trying to keep things simple.  

Google loves this kind of feedback though.

Have you considered exploring additional products and ways to get to your end goal? I haven't looked too deeply but I read that you can potentially combine your efforts through Google web designer with DoubleClick remarketing.

Just a thought.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’