AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Text ads targeting on GDN: Display only VS Search with Display Select

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

I want to try text ads on the display network but I have a doubt concerning how they are targeted (and shown) depending on which campaign type I choose.

With a display only campaign, the available targeting methods (placement, topics, interests, demographic) relate to the websites rather than the user, it seems to me. With the display and select, it is the list of keywords created for the search network what is used for targeting. Therefore, it seems to me that the targeting for text ads would be more efficient in Search and Display Select campaigns: the targeting is more closely related to the user behaviour than in Display only, since it matches the topics of interest of a user with the moment in which that interest is higher, revealed by a search.

Is this correct? I guess that what I am talking about could be the option of contextual targeting, but that is not available in my adwords account. 

Second question: in a Search with Display select campaign and with ads that have dynamic titles, do those titles behave dynamically also on the display network and show the search query?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Arturo.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arturo P
August 2016

Re: Text ads targeting on GDN: Display only VS Search with Display Select

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Second question: in a Search with Display select campaign and with ads that have dynamic titles, do those titles behave dynamically also on the display network and show the search query?

Display campaign does not have feature of Dynamic Keywords insertion & search query. DKI only available for search network. If you create a SNDS campaign, you will get SQR (SERACH Network Only) idea and Search network keywords performance under Keyword tab but Display network campaign performance under Display network tab.

As @MosheTLV has already said SNDS campaign shows ads on GDN network, when the keyword's theme matches with the content of the placement sites.So there is no Search query in SNDS campaign.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Arturo,

I will recommend going through the below URL for all type AdWords Networks availability and difference.

AdWords campaign types

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2567043?hl=en&ref_topic=3121941

Search Network with Display Select
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3437721?hl=en

The benefits of each network, do your due diligence and break them into separate, network-specific campaigns. From a strategic standpoint, this will allow us to create your messaging based on the scenario in which your audience is viewing your ad. From a more logistical standpoint, this segmentation is critical. Not only does it allow you to set specific budgets and bids per network, but it will keep your data “clean” and help you to make more impactful optimizations.

Let’s take click-through rate, for example. Ads on the Display Network typically garner lower CTRs than their Search Network counterparts (which comes as no surprise, given the context in which they are shown). If the campaigns are not segmented, the CTR data can be severely skewed, making it challenging to analyze performance.

I hope this will help you.
Thanks,
Anand

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Anand thanks for your reply.
I am aware about the benefits of segmenting by network. However I want to conduct a test for text ads in display network, and see if there are differences between choosing a Display Only targeting or the Search and Display Select targeting. So it is not related actually to search, it would for sure make no sense comparing display performance to search performance.

Thanks!

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Arturo,

Yes, Your are right. You can test Text Ads performance in Display Only Vs Search with Display Select Campaigns and let's speak the data.

Thanks,
Anand

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Arturo P;

This is a nice question,

The key here is that targeting algorithms are based, as you mentioned, by matching the content of the site and the your targeting methods.

When keywords targeting is used (as in SDS or when chosen full display) the KWs collectively work to create a theme which is matched to the content of the site.

The ad whether a text ad of a banner doesn't play  a role during the auction stage. If you win an auction (based on your QS and bid) the system checks if the ad has an available slot on the webpage. If it has - the ad (based on the size)  wins a slot.

PS: in keywords targeting one keywords among all keywords is the "leading theme keyword" - the click is attributed to this KW.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the reply Moshe,
could we then say that the SDS campaign type has a more contextual targeting method, taking more into account the current searches of the user, than the Display only campaign type?

Do you know whether dynamic titles behave also dynamically when shown in display, as part of a SDS campaign?

Thanks again!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arturo P
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Display campaign does not have feature of Dynamic Keywords insertion & search query. DKI only available for search network. If you create a SNDS campaign, you will get SQR (SERACH Network Only) idea and Search network keywords performance under Keyword tab but Display network campaign performance under Display network tab.

As @MosheTLV has already said SNDS campaign shows ads on GDN network, when the keyword's theme matches with the content of the placement sites.So there is no Search query in SNDS campaign.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Arturo P;

@Rakesh Kumar replied while I was away. If you have any further followups - please post.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’