AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Text ads on YT GDN ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

hi,

Please, I'd like your comments on Youtube display ads ..I've got an ad group with ad text and graphics (target and bid), but only on YT (managed placement).
70% of my ads served are ads text ! I 'd like to preview or have a look at it as i was pretty sure that only graphic creatives was possible on this placement.
Any idea where  YT could display these ads text ?
Tks..

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author garguier s
September 2015

Re: Text ads on YT GDN ?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

@Gemma . Solved ! Only import creatives are displayed as thumbnails, others made from google display builder don't.

EDIT : Regarding text ads i think that i understand what you mean by screen now ! screenshot : http://www.screencast.com/users/garg01/folders/Default/media/fd432e2f-b443-4cf0-96e1-6697c9ababe6

@Adrian Tks for your links. No exclusions at all..

"1) The above the fold exclusion does not affect youtube text overlay ads, because the video is on the screen level" : i don't refer to adwords video campaign (indisplay, stream, insearch..) , but text ads on display with placement dedicated to YTube.

EDIT : Ok, i understand now .

On YT, a lot of impressions means nothing , you have to look at which ads being served..Strange enough, isn't a matter of bids level as cpc for graphic ads seems even lower than text ad..Smiley Frustrated

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Unmfotunely, there is no tool to preview ads on the display network;
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe, tks..

I know that , but my worry is about how text ads can be showned on YTube ? I 've never seen text ads on this network, only graphics and videos ? If you have any screenshot on how and where text ads formats are displayed, i 'll appreciate...

Thanks..

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I have seen text ads on Youtube - they're in little popups at the bottom of the youtube screen as it's being viewed for the first 10 seconds or so, and there's an "X" at the top right. I don't know if clicking that counts as a "click" or if you can get info on this as a "revoke" (also useful!)

I'm afraid I don't have a screenshot.

Otherwise, are your text ads doing the biz? On the display network, image ads do incredibly well.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi gemma,

Tks for your message..

1/ "they're in little popups at the bottom of the youtube screen" : I 've done an exclusion  with "show the ad above the fold" criteria ..so how text ads can be shown on the bottom on YT screen ?

2/ By the way , do you know how to display  a thumbnail of the creatives in ads tab dashboard ?  i see sometimes them  on gdn campaign accounts  ..I have to click on a link to have a preview..

Tks..

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Garguier, I was only telling you what I'd seen.

1/ Can you tell me why you chose "above the fold"? Was this a directive from your client, because there may be people who would click elsewhere. And on the Youtube screen itself (the black bit) to me would be "above the fold" - but no way am I an expert on Youtube advertising.

2/ I haven't a clue! I get a small icon when I click the "Ads" tab - and since you're logged in, javascript should then be running. This is a screenshot of my display network campaign. Does it help you any? Are you getting the same results on the Ads tab? Further than this, I can't really help you. 

2013-11-07 google display network .png

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

1) The above the fold exclusion does not affect youtube text overlay ads, because the video is on the screen level

2) Those ads with thumbnail do they have a common characteristic like the fact that they are static images ?

More about text ads in youtube :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/77961?hl=en

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456100?hl=en

"You can currently target any ad format -- image, video, and text -- to different placements on the YouTube site, as well as specific content categories like Science & Technology or Education."

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there a chance that you also excluded the "In video" category from the GDN and this is causing the text ads not to be selected for youtube in-video overlays ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author garguier s
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

@Gemma . Solved ! Only import creatives are displayed as thumbnails, others made from google display builder don't.

EDIT : Regarding text ads i think that i understand what you mean by screen now ! screenshot : http://www.screencast.com/users/garg01/folders/Default/media/fd432e2f-b443-4cf0-96e1-6697c9ababe6

@Adrian Tks for your links. No exclusions at all..

"1) The above the fold exclusion does not affect youtube text overlay ads, because the video is on the screen level" : i don't refer to adwords video campaign (indisplay, stream, insearch..) , but text ads on display with placement dedicated to YTube.

EDIT : Ok, i understand now .

On YT, a lot of impressions means nothing , you have to look at which ads being served..Strange enough, isn't a matter of bids level as cpc for graphic ads seems even lower than text ad..Smiley Frustrated

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Well done!

If you see the answer to your question in this discussion, please mark that post as an accepted solution so it can help others like you to resolve their issue in the future.