AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Text Ads, Language, Landing Page - Help

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Everyone,

I have doubts about text ads and languages.

I was talking about it the other day and I was convinced, I still am, that when you run a search a campaign on AdWords for an English site your ads have to be in English even if you are displaying your ads in a non-English speaking country unless my landing pages are translated in the other language.

So let's say my site is English and I make my ads appear in Spain. I can't write Spanish ads that land on an English page can I?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Text Ads, Language, Landing Page - Help

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Oscar,

Google doesn't translate anything - and doesn't really care which language you use for either keywords, ads or landing pages.

I work in Spain and in general terms I set my campaigns to be in one language only - so language settings to one language, keywords, ads, and landing page in the same language.

If you don't have the site in Spanish - then there's not a lot of point in attracting Spanish speakers. If they constitute a significant segment of your target then get a Spanish version of your website set up.

If you want to, you can happily set up keywords and ads in Spanish and send the visitors to your English site - but I question the value of doing this - Especially as translating a site - or at the very least a part of the site, is such a simply task in most cases. I do accept that some sites can be complex - an ecommerce site with thousands of products, for example, might be a big job - but having a landing page that at least welcomes the Spanish visitor in Spanish and perhaps explains how to use the site could be set up quickly and cheaply.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Oscar,

Google doesn't translate anything - and doesn't really care which language you use for either keywords, ads or landing pages.

I work in Spain and in general terms I set my campaigns to be in one language only - so language settings to one language, keywords, ads, and landing page in the same language.

If you don't have the site in Spanish - then there's not a lot of point in attracting Spanish speakers. If they constitute a significant segment of your target then get a Spanish version of your website set up.

If you want to, you can happily set up keywords and ads in Spanish and send the visitors to your English site - but I question the value of doing this - Especially as translating a site - or at the very least a part of the site, is such a simply task in most cases. I do accept that some sites can be complex - an ecommerce site with thousands of products, for example, might be a big job - but having a landing page that at least welcomes the Spanish visitor in Spanish and perhaps explains how to use the site could be set up quickly and cheaply.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for your answer! I thought I couldn't do it.

Cheers
Oscar

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Often when you set up a new campaign and select, for example, Canada - Google will suggest (by default) that your visitors speak English and French - and you can select both and target both.

Many people think that this means that Google translates both your keywords and your ad text - some people have even asked if Google translates the destination web page.... Google does nothing - the ads show as they are written, the keywords trigger as they can (some words will trigger for both languages, brand names, for example) and the webpage will be whichever you put as the destination url.

It is a little misleading and the best advice, I believe, is to separate languages as much as possible to avoid confusion.