AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Text Ad and Click-To-Call Ad in the same AdGroup

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Am I right that when you have 2 kinds of ads (Text Ad and new Click-To-Call Ad) in the same AdGroup, then Click-To-Call Ad will ALWAYS be shown when user initiates search on the smartphone, and TextAd will only belong to Desktops and Tablets?

Thanks!

D

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Text Ad and Click-To-Call Ad in the same AdGroup

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi D,

Since both ad formats are keyword driven and have common keywords (same ad group), there are chances of the text ad showing on mobile phones as well. However, the call only ad wouldn't show on desktops & tablets.

I'd suggest having two campaigns - one with standard text ads, meant for desktops & tablets and the other for mobile devices. Further, I'd suggest a -100% mobile bid adjustment for the first campaign (so that standard text ads don't show up on mobile devices) and a positive bid adjustment (optional) on the call only campaign.

Hope that clarifies!

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

The click to call ad will show on "mobile devices that can make phone calls" which is also some tablets traffic.

The way to separate traffic is trough 2 campaigns, "Search network" with text ads and -100% mobile and "Call only campaign" with Call only ads , without text ads ( even if the system currently allows them by mistake).

I am curious what you will see as "click/call rate", because now I see a 10/1 ratio for "Call only Ads". I guess people tap on the Ad and it is too much effort to actually initiate a call.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I am curious what you will see as "click/call rate", because now I see a 10/1 ratio for "Call only Ads". I guess people tap on the Ad and it is too much effort to actually initiate a call.

Yes, that's what I'm also afraid of... We had the same ratio in the past when using call extension with "Number only" option. 10/1 or so...