AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Testing creative in Content network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there a way to test display creative vs. text creative in the Content network? I know that ads show up on different sites, based on format, but the client wants to test them against each other. What is the best way to set up a split test for this? Is this something that can be done in ACE? Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

HI Staci,   The easiest way to create an A/B test (split...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

HI Staci,

The easiest way to create an A/B test (split test) is to create 2 competing ad copies, in the same ad group, which link to the 2 types of ads you mentioned. Remember to visit the Settings page of the campaign and select the Ad delivery: Ad rotation, frequency capping advanced setting, at the lower section of the page.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

HI Staci,   The easiest way to create an A/B test (split...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

HI Staci,

The easiest way to create an A/B test (split test) is to create 2 competing ad copies, in the same ad group, which link to the 2 types of ads you mentioned. Remember to visit the Settings page of the campaign and select the Ad delivery: Ad rotation, frequency capping advanced setting, at the lower section of the page.

Best,

Lakatos

"I know that ads show up on different sites, based on for...

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

"I know that ads show up on different sites, based on format" There's the rub when trying to compare text ad apples, to image ad oranges. Smiley Happy 

The bid necessary to allow text ads to earn a high enough adrank to show, may be much lower than image ads. If you have both types of ads in the same adgroup, the adrank could be high enough to show a text ad, but not an image ad. So, even set to rotate, one type of ad or the other may not show.

Since you would be adding image or text ads to an exisiting adgroup, what about adding those new ads to a new adgroup instead? Then, your old adgroup data would not be skewed by the new ads, and the new ads data would be the only data for the new adgroup. Then you could split test each adgroup, using the same variables (targeting method, bids, etc.).

Tom

Hi Staci,   Split testing text against image ads is not e...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Staci,

Split testing text against image ads is not easy. You can do as Lakatos suggests, but no matter how the rotation is set the text ads will very likely get much more traffic as more sites accept text ads than accept image ads. Image ads usually require a higher bid as they take up more area than one text ad. If you place text and image ads together in one AdGroup, you can't bid higher on the image and and may not get impressions.

That said, I do (did) have one ad group with both text and one image ad. The image ad did get impressions. The CTR was far greater than for text ads and the CPC was lower. So much for the "best practices" advice. Best practice advice would have you split the image ads and text ads in to separate groups, with the same keywords. I paused the image ad in the group because it is also in my image group. The performance in the image group was not quite as good. CTR was comparable, but the CPC was a bit higher. I wanted to see if the ad in the text group was getting all the cheap clicks and making the other group look more expensive because of it.

You might try one of the smaller format ads--not a skyscraper or a wide add. Try the 200x200 format. Use text from your most successful text ad, plus an image, and place them in the same AdGroup. Then let it run for a while. Oh, do make sure the rotation is set to "show ads more evenly" to make sure your new ad gets impressions. I would not be surprised to learn the image ad gets a much higher CTR at a similar or even lower CPC than your text adsin the samge group. But I would not suggest creating all sizes of ads and placing them in the same ad group with your text ads. I think, once you establish image ads out-perform text ads for your particular business or industry, you might want to create ad groups based on the size of the images so you can better control your bids for the different size ads.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Alright, I have forgotten about the issue associated with...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Alright, I have forgotten about the issue associated with bids for text ads and image ads. As Tom and Pete suggested you'd better create them in separate ad groups so you are free to set different bids for them. In case you wish to keep them in one ad group you'll need to apply either geographic segmentation (different geotargets) or time schedule segmentation (text on Mon, image on Tue etc.).

The guys are right in that comparing apples to peaches evokes quite a few problems, however, that seems to have been the client's request.