AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Temporarily stopping all ads from showing (e.g. during holiday/vacation)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all. If I needed to stop all my ads from showing for a limited time - say, a fortnight or a month - but restart them immediately after that period, would my campaign be likely to suffer in any way when I resume as a result of that pause? 

Also, how do you tend to handle temporary pauses like this? Is there any benefit to keeping the campaign active but pausing each ad group? Or keeping ad groups active but pausing ads? Or pausing the entire campaign and not touching anything lower down? Or will the method of pausing make no difference to the campaign's performance when resumed?

TIA.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Temporarily stopping all ads from showing (e.g. during holiday/vacation)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello swebber,

It depends from business to business actually.

As far as my experience is concerned, it's a natural tendency to pause the campaigns during holiday or vacation time when you don't have much of the business. It is best for the seasonal businesses so that you don't accrue costs when there is no business.

However, on another hand, if you are fine with your budget and all, and you tend to have some peak seasons and some low profit months, you can formulate a strategy for the whole year. Divide your campaigns into 2 categories and then accordingly allocate the daily budget to the campaigns which you tend to run during peak season and during low profit months. Doing that, you will not be missing any single opportunity of grasping a lead/ sale for your business. That's my opinion.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi swebber,

There isn't an easy answer to this one unfortunately as there are too many variables.

If you drop off the listings for a while you will find that the auction landscape will change and your competitors cpc's and positons will change as well. As your competitors cpc's and positions can change, they are likely to make adjustments to their own campaigns. When you re-enter the auctions again things have changed so you're likely to see a small difference.

If you are only pausing for a couple of weeks to a month I don't think it would make much of a difference but it really depends on your competitors.

I have one client who is in a bidding war with another individual advertiser and when they're ads aren't online I am able to reduce our bids by over 20% but maintain a very similar average position. 

Pausing adgroups or campaigns wouldn't matter as none of the keywords would be getting any impressions or clicks though.

All you can do is reactivate the campaigns and make the necessary changes. You might find you have to do a bit more tweaking initially until it gets back to where you were before.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello swebber,

It depends from business to business actually.

As far as my experience is concerned, it's a natural tendency to pause the campaigns during holiday or vacation time when you don't have much of the business. It is best for the seasonal businesses so that you don't accrue costs when there is no business.

However, on another hand, if you are fine with your budget and all, and you tend to have some peak seasons and some low profit months, you can formulate a strategy for the whole year. Divide your campaigns into 2 categories and then accordingly allocate the daily budget to the campaigns which you tend to run during peak season and during low profit months. Doing that, you will not be missing any single opportunity of grasping a lead/ sale for your business. That's my opinion.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi swebber,

There isn't an easy answer to this one unfortunately as there are too many variables.

If you drop off the listings for a while you will find that the auction landscape will change and your competitors cpc's and positons will change as well. As your competitors cpc's and positions can change, they are likely to make adjustments to their own campaigns. When you re-enter the auctions again things have changed so you're likely to see a small difference.

If you are only pausing for a couple of weeks to a month I don't think it would make much of a difference but it really depends on your competitors.

I have one client who is in a bidding war with another individual advertiser and when they're ads aren't online I am able to reduce our bids by over 20% but maintain a very similar average position. 

Pausing adgroups or campaigns wouldn't matter as none of the keywords would be getting any impressions or clicks though.

All you can do is reactivate the campaigns and make the necessary changes. You might find you have to do a bit more tweaking initially until it gets back to where you were before.

Re: Temporarily pausing campaigns

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello swebber;

Pankaj and purefuzz covered the pros and cons, so I wouldn't get into this ,

My personal preference is to allow ads during the holidays. I have noticed, that it in all campaigns I do get clicks.

People, apparently, having spare time during the holidays and they do surf the net for both pleasure and business. You can get pretty good leads from these clicks.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks v much, all! That's useful to know. If I decide to pause (and I'm not sure at the moment), I'll do it at the campaign level.