AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Targetting natives from a country living abroad

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I need to set up a campaign targetting natives of a country living abroad (in exemple french people).

I wanted to share my set up and configs and have your feeling about it.

I was thinking to segment campaigns in geography (north america, europe, north africa, ...) only because there won't be enough traffic to go deeper. Each time, french language and local language (knowing that the internet user will search in french, but as I don't know what is the language set up is his device...)

I would include compelling keywords for the research.

But I'm not sure if the ad will trigger if the internet user uses google.fr as search engine instead of google.co.uk (in uk)?

Wish you all a great and sunny day.

Cheers

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alexandre B
September 2015

Re: Targetting natives from a country living abroad

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Alexandre B,

Where your ads show (geo location) is controlled by location targeting, irrespective of the language you chose. For instance, if select French language and UK location (target French speaking population in the UK), your ads would show within the UK and on www.google.co.uk. Though you're targeting French language, your ads wouldn't show on the French domain, unless you target the location.

There could be an exception to this, when the location name is included in their search query, called query parsing. For instance - 'web developer Paris': A French language user in the UK might see your ad in this case, although the search happened on the UK domain, as their location of interest is Paris. By default, your campaign settings would allow this behavior, unless the advanced location targeting options are changed.

More info on advanced location targeting options here and language targeting here.

Feel free to write back with questions.

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alexandre B
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Alexandre B,

Where your ads show (geo location) is controlled by location targeting, irrespective of the language you chose. For instance, if select French language and UK location (target French speaking population in the UK), your ads would show within the UK and on www.google.co.uk. Though you're targeting French language, your ads wouldn't show on the French domain, unless you target the location.

There could be an exception to this, when the location name is included in their search query, called query parsing. For instance - 'web developer Paris': A French language user in the UK might see your ad in this case, although the search happened on the UK domain, as their location of interest is Paris. By default, your campaign settings would allow this behavior, unless the advanced location targeting options are changed.

More info on advanced location targeting options here and language targeting here.

Feel free to write back with questions.

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Sumanth for your answer.
For the english, it's ok.

Regarding the geo targetting, I would like to confirm (and let say I'm targetting french people so I set up french as language and that most (all?) of the user will have a geographical location in their query as "plumber in paris") :

- A UK based user that connect in Google.co.uk will see my ads
- But also the same UK based user that is making the search in google.fr will see the ad because he as mentioned the place of interrest (paris) in his query. Right?

Cheers

Alex

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Yes, that's correct. 

Here's a screenshot for instance. I'm located in Hyderabad and searched for 'web developers Bangalore' (a different city) on the UK domain.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Sumath for your help!