AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting options not available

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Under my newly launched campaign, it says for example "here are no age ranges in this account. Click "+ Targeting" above to start adding age ranges to your account."

However if I click on +Targeting, when I try to choose my campaign, it is not available. Does it need to be approved or start running for this feature?

If yes, this seems counter-intuitive. Why shouldn't I be able to set my target demographics before starting a campaign? Or am I missing something here?. 

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ram M
April 2016

Re: Targeting options not available

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Ram, you told us it was a Display campaign, didn't you? However, the icon to the left of the campaign name in the pic you shared shows that it is in fact a Search campaign. So that you know demographic targeting is not available for Search campaigns.

Capture-apr29d.PNG

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

What Campaign is it, @Ram M ? Search or Display? Remarketing?

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It;s Targeting under "Display Network"

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Ram, there seems to be some misunderstanding. You should be able to do that. Could you perhaps post a snip showing the issue?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
http://imgur.com/yXWf7fP

you can clearly see no campaigns found though there is a campaign

(The more I use Adwords, the more unfriendly for novice users it seems!)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Ram m wrote:
http://imgur.com/yXWf7fP

you can clearly see no campaigns found though there is a campaign

(The more I use Adwords, the more unfriendly for novice users it seems!)

Looks like you need to select a campaign in the drop down, which will open when you click "choose" button on your screen grab. I agree, it does feel counter-intuitive, @Ram M, to have to select a campaign again, while you're in that campaign to begin with.

I do have to say that I disagree with the "unfriendly" perception you seem to have formed. I find AdWords platform extremely friendly and intuitive. Maybe it's just me, but have you seen a platform that is friendlier? As a novice a few years back (and it has been perfected a lot since) I was able to gather important business data in one place. Which, coming from the traditional advertising world, was a major breakthrough for me personally.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Ram,

I agree, display targeting is a bit complex. The page should look as the snip below my sig. And when I click my campaign name, the ad groups' names should come up in the right hand area.

I'd say what you posted seems pretty weird. Since you are a newbie, my best guess is that you perhaps did not create an ad group within your campaign as yet.Or you did not finish the creation of the campaign, did not enter financial info or something like that. I mean something kind of administrative error. (Else it could be an issue with your download or internet connection to the servers.)

Could you click the Ad groups tab at the top and show me what you see?

Best,

Lakatos

Capture-apr29c.PNG

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ram M
April 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Ram, you told us it was a Display campaign, didn't you? However, the icon to the left of the campaign name in the pic you shared shows that it is in fact a Search campaign. So that you know demographic targeting is not available for Search campaigns.

Capture-apr29d.PNG

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Well judged @Lakatos.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’