AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting locations

N/A
# 1
N/A

My company is based in Texas. When I search for one of my important keywords and add a location, such as "Florida" to the keyword, my ad does not show up. I want my ads to show for all states. What setting am I missing?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Targeting locations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

A quick suggestion would be to first make sure you are geo-targeting the entire US (or whatever locations you prefer).

If this is already set up, it could just be a function of more competition in other areas of the country...maybe.

Also, don't rely on searching to determine how your ad is performing.  You should use the ad preview tool for that and set the location to where you'd like to test.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

N/A
# 3
N/A

Not sure what you mean by "geo-targeting", but in my campaign settings I have Targeted locations set to "All countries and territories".

When I said "searching" I should have been more specific. I meant that I am using the ad preview tool.

Also, this particular keyword is an exact match keyword because there are too many variations that people search for using that keyword and I get a lot of wasted clicks if I use broad match or phrase match.  Is that the reason it does not come up when you add "Florida" to the keyword?  If so, does that mean I need to enter the exact match keyword plus every state in order for it to trigger my ads for people searching using their state name?  Seems like a large amount of work to achieve something so simple.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

Yes, exact match is only going to match that exact search query. Adding any term or even changing the order of terms will not match an exact keyword.

You could try phrase match to capture some longer tail search queries.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

N/A
# 5
N/A

I was afraid of that. I tried phrase match. I get too many crazy variations clicking on my ad. So, I guess I have to add 50 exact match keywords!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi, have you made good use of the Search Query Report and negative Keywords? Trying to cover all possible - relevant - search terms using exact matches is going to require more than 50 to cover all states. As Tom has said, if it's just two words you need them both ways. It is usually more effective to use a good Phrase match - or even Modified Broad Match and a good set of negatives to keep out the crazies than it is to try and cover everything with Exact. Of course, you're very likely to have your Exacts as well - in fact you may well end up with 50 or 100 Exacts in their own Group - but I wouldn't rely on that as the only matches... Jon
AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits