AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting ads from other keywords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Friends,

I am approaching once again to you friends to have the answer & resolution about a concern in a campaign.

Today i have come across a campaign which is targeted in Alabania. When i diagnosed the keywords i found that most of the keywords are triggering ads with other keywords from other ad groups. Please see the snap shots attached

Now in the first snap if you see the keyword agra vacation tour from other ad group is triggering ads for the keyword agra holiday packages in other adgroup. 

In the 2nd snap when i diagnose the keyword agra vacation tour, i get the reply that agra tour is triggering the ads for this keyword. This is true for most of the keywords in the campaign. 

One reason for this that i can understand is due to broad match type of keywords & quality score & historical performance of these kewords coming into play and trigerring ads with other keywords with better QS & performance.

Now i have few questions going in my mind.

1) Why agra vacation tour is triggering ads for agra holiday packages & why not agra vacation packages or agra vacation package when all these keywords have same quality score (7/10) & are close variants of agra holiday packages. Also agra vacation tour does not have much search volume in Alabania as compared to agra holiday packages. (source Keyword Tool)

2) Will changing the keywords match type resolve this issue?

3) Is there any alternate way to avoid this situation without changing the keywords match type?

Hope to hear some positive reply & feedback.

Thanks,

Wasif

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author waasif_ehsan
September 2015

Re: Targeting ads from other keywords

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Wasif,

The best way to avoid this issue is to add inter ad group negative keywords. This means that you need to add the word 'vacation' as negative to the Holiday related ad group and 'tour' as negative to the packages related ad group. This will ensure that there is no cross triggering.

The reason for the cross triggering is that you have followed the AdWords best practices and split your ad groups based on themes to have tightly knit ad groups. However, after doing this, it is extremely important to have a healthy set of negative keywords at the inter ad group and inter campaigns levels.

- Heta

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Waasif,

I suggest that you should use phrase match instead of broad match keyword because your campaign is looking well optimize and i think that these problem occur with many of the keywords so to avoid these you should use phrase match that will also helps you to increase Quality score of keywords.

Hope this helps !

Regards

-Vicky

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Heta,

Thanks for this lovely suggestion. This is indeed the best solution i believe, however i have tried this inter ad group negative keywords in another campaign but it did not worked for me.

I have another campaign wherein the keyword buy glassware in adgroup Bar glasses was triggering ads for buy whiskey glasses keyword from the adgroup Whisky glasses. To avoid this i added "buy glassware" & "glassware" as negative keyword in Whisky glasses adgroup yet the problem is not resolved. Now iam not sure whether i am making any mistake or its a system error.

Thanks

Wasif

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Wasif,

You are right, this is happening primarily because of broad match type keywords in your campaigns. And of course other reasons also follows like CTR, relevancy of the search query with respect to your keyword.

My suggestion would be introduce more of the phrase and exact match type keywords based on Traffic Estimator for your current keywords. Another important reason for introduction of phrase and exact would be that from Mid May onwards, Google will show your ads to more broaden users which will include the singulars, plurals misspellings etc... related to these match types. 

Also, you could prevent interfering of ad being triggered from another ad group by including embedded negative match type keywords. 

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author waasif_ehsan
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Wasif,

Your problem would have been solved if you had added 'Whiskey' as negative to the 'Buy glassware' ad group. It is extremely important that you add the main theme of the other ad group as negative.

To ensure that you are not blocking any of your positive keywords, I suggest performing a keyword diagnosis everytime you add negatives in bulk. In this way, you will ensure that no damage has been done to your account.

Let me know if you need more help.

- Heta

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Wasif,

My Suggestion is to add few keywords with "Broad Match Modifier" and pause broad keywords and test. This will resolves most of the double serving issue. 

Try this

-Raghu

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Heta,

Thanks for correcting me. Your suggestion really solved the problem. Now i know where i was going wrong.

I will definately seek your help if i face any problem in my campaigns. 

Thanks,

Wasif