AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting Specific Ad Copy To Specific Devices With Enhanced Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

So I've got a grip on the ability to turn on/off mobile component of the enhanced campaigns using bid multiplier.  

My concern is our mobile ad traffic currently only goes through to click to call, and has ad copy specifically for that whereas our desktop/table ad copy is clickable to our site and the ad copy is tailored to this.

I understand you can specify an ad is for mobile only, but what stops an ad that is tailored to desktop with copy that encourages clicking to the site from appearing on a mobile device?

Regards

Sam

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Targeting Specific Ad Copy To Specific Devices With Enhanced Campa

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

The only thing that stops your desktop ad from appearing on mobile device, will be your ad with device preference set as 'mobile'.

This is what Google says

"Let’s say your ad group contains both a standard text ad and a mobile-optimized text ad. On mobile devices, your mobile-optimized text ad will be given preference over standard text ads. On desktop or laptop computers and tablets, your standard text ad will be given preference over mobile-optimized text ads."

Please read the text under "How standard text ads and mobile-optimized text ads work" heading

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722117

Hope this helps,

Deepak 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

The only thing that stops your desktop ad from appearing on mobile device, will be your ad with device preference set as 'mobile'.

This is what Google says

"Let’s say your ad group contains both a standard text ad and a mobile-optimized text ad. On mobile devices, your mobile-optimized text ad will be given preference over standard text ads. On desktop or laptop computers and tablets, your standard text ad will be given preference over mobile-optimized text ads."

Please read the text under "How standard text ads and mobile-optimized text ads work" heading

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722117

Hope this helps,

Deepak 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Deepak is right.

You can create different ad copies in the same ad group. One can be stardard text ad another can be mobile ad. Also you can use click to call extension in the same campaign. Now when searches will happen, your ad will appear according to the device. If the user is searching from mobile device then your mobile advertisement will be the most preffered ad to appear and along with that may be your click-to-call extension will also appear. Same goes with the user searching from desktop, if he is searching from desktop then stadard text ad will appear.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response Deepak

What concerns me is mobile ad copy "given preference".  

I'm concerned that while the Mobile Ad copy is given preference, there is still the chance that the desktop ad copy will crop up on a mobile device.  

I understand how to set click to call only on the mobile ads and make ads that only appear on mobile, but am concerned that desktop ad copy will creep into my mobile display.  

We get over half a million impressions a month with mobile devices switched off and if there's any statistical possibility of a desktop ad cropping up on a mobile it will.

Regards

Sam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I was recently advised by one of the adwords staff that I just duplicate my current desktop ad copy and mark one of the them as mobile. This was in the context of improving the performance of my campaigns.

I went ahead and did that things have only become worse.

Looking back, it does not make sense that I have two identical ad copies in the same ad group and with all the same settings.

Any thoughts from the experts?

Re: Targeting Specific Ad Copy To Specific Devices With Enhanced Campaigns

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.