AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting Mobile only with Enhanced campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a question regarding enhanced campaigns. From the material that Adwords has released to date,it looks like you can not set up mobile only campaigns. At least as far as I can tell, it looks like all campaigns target Desktop/Tablet, with mobile as something you can add, without a mobile only campaign option.

Cheers,

Anthony

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anthony_p_c
September 2015

Re: Targeting Mobile only with Enhanced campaigns

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Anthony and welcome,

Mobile is selected by default in the enhanced campaigns but you can set a mobile bid multiplier of -100% to make it a desktop/tablet campaign.

Mobile only campaigns..... I am seeing the same as you and haven't seen any way to create a mobile specific campaign, yet. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it's a really bad move if they are gone.

Mobiles perform so differently to desktops and having the stats separate makes sense. Certain keywords perform better on mobiles and not so well on desktop. The list of how this change could negatively effect performance goes on and on.

If this is the case (and no mobile specific campaign option or desktop bid multiplier is coming), there is a way to "maybe/sort of" create a mobile campaign. It's wouldn't 100% accurate, but might work to some degree. If you duplicate your desktop campaign, reduce bids to around 33% of what they are in your desktop campaign then set a mobile bid multiplier of up to +300% (I haven't tested this, just theory at present).

Using this setup, you will have competing campaigns BUT the adrank on the desktop campaign "should theoretically" be higher (your bids are higher) than the mobile targeted campaign so it will win the auction. 

Are mobile specific campaigns or desktop bid multipliers going to be an option in the new campaigns? 

edit: You can do it for a few months.... just switch back to a legacy type campaign for a few months ;-)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

From what I understand as far as Enhanced Campaigns are concerned, device preference option isn't available. Hence when you create ECs, your ads would target all devices by default (laptops/desktops/mobiles/tablets).

So what you can do as far as written material is available, you can lower down the bids for mobile devices by some percentage or increase the bids depending upon how your mobile campaigns are currently performing. Similarly, when you create text ads, you do get an option of Device preference (for mobiles) in the interface. If you check mark that option, Adwords would prefer to show that particular ad on mobile devices.

I believe that everyone has the limited information which currently Google has to offer inside the notes, help center etc.. So we can prepare for the big transition and make sure to adapt ECs as soon as possible to avoid any last minute hassles.

Pankaj

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

I am hoping that if enough advertisers talk about this feature being missing they might make the changes and let us have desktop/tablet bid multipliers.

When the ad rotation settings changed a few months ago, Google did listen to advertiser feedback and then make changes to keep us happy ;-)

As Pankaj said, we have limited info at this time so maybe Google is going to release more on this. I do hope so.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

As I've said in (many) other threads now, it's slightly misleading to say that you can't target only mobiles.  With a combination of careful mobile bid adjustments and (as Pankaj has said) using the mobile preference for Ads, you can make a desktop impression or click so unlikely that it's effectively turned off.

Most of the gossip around here seems to suggest that desktops and tablets will always be seeing Ads and that simply isn't true.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Jon, I'm not trying to argue about the situation, we both know what's going on. 

Could you please explain your method of attempting to target only mobile devices in a separate campaign using the enhanced campaigns?

I'm only trying to look after my clients interests.

Personally, I appeciate anything Google does do to make AdWords more complex as it increases the need for professionsla like us but feel the smaller guys do miss out. 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Adam, I've just written a blog post on the subject, which I think explains it.  I'll be posting an article here as well since it seems to be the main focus of the angst over these new ECs...

Wot? No mobiles?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

Great article Jon & I appreciate the fact that there are a lot of positives with the enhanced campaigns, but I currently feel I'd maybe give up the new positives to stick with what works for me and my clients.

Please tell me how I can get a mobile ONLY campaign though. I don't want tainted desktop stats in it. I have quite a few advertisers on mobile only campaigns (it's not worth it otherwise - its been tested) 

I can't do it with enhanced campaigns. I know where you are coming from and I know Google are trying to make it easier for them as well, it just doesn't make it better for advertisers....

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi All,

I have a very little understanding of enhanced campaigns because I haven't gone through all the support docs on it asif now and also I haven't converted any of my client campaign. I decided first gaining of some knowledge and den convert as I don't want client to suffer.

I am also concerned like others no mobile campaign, call extension showup on Desktop/Laptops too. Also I am worried on duplicacy of keywords and on reporting part. If we will have seperate campaigns for devices with bid multiplie strategy such as -100% for mobile, +300 for mobile wouldn't it be considerd as duplicate campaign/keywords. (If bids are close for both mobile and desktop/laptop campaign). I am so confused. If yes, what about QS. Lot of learning and understanding needed.

- Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

While I think it is now quite clear that you can effectively stop desktop clicks using clever bid adjustments, I want more than effectively, I want definitively. You shouldn't have to use clever bid adjustments to achieve a simple task of targeting mobile only.

We have a client where particular search terms are weighted towards mobile to the degree that CPCs are much higher on mobile than desktop, so even with a 300% bid adjustment, the desktop bid will still be high enough to gather significant traffic. This may potentially kill any profitability for the client through AdWords and result in them moving into other advertising channels instead.