AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Target users from a specific country and foreign websites

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am interested in users located in Greece and websites all over the world (i.e people in Greece that read the New York Times' website).

How could i setup my campaign? Should i use location: Greece, or not? 

I see that selecting Greece as location shows only Greek websites.

I do not want this narrowed down list of websites.

Please advice

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Target users from a specific country and foreign websites

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

I am assuming that you are referring to Google Display Network here and want to target Greece as well as people located in other regions but have shown interest in your location. Let us know if that's not the case here.

You can select Greece as target country and have your advanced location settings set to this option:

People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location.

Read more about Advanced locations in this reference: 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?ctx=tltp&expand=loc1

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Pankaj, 

i am not sure what "express interest in this location"  means.

I am interested in targeting i.e people in Greece reading the New York Times or Guardian, etc. That is media not located in Greece and not in the Greek language.

Is it possible only by the way you propose?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If you select Greece as the targeted country and also select the targeting option "People in my targeted location" then your ads will only be seen by people connected in Greece - it doesn't matter what sites they are viewing - these can be all over the world.

Personally I do not like the "interested in" option since anyone viewing a page about the Greek islands in the USA could then enter your target - so stick to the "People in" option.

When using the GDN you can aslo then choose certain websites to target as managed placements. It's often a good idea to select automatic placements to begin with and then separate out those that perform well for you into a managed placements group so that you can increase the bids for these.

Just one final point. When you select the country, you will also then be asked to select languages. This is the language preference for the users browser - I would assume that most people in Greece would have their browsers set to Greek - but you could, since you mention the NYT, target only those people in Greece who surf the web with ther browser set to English. It's another option you might consider. If you do this, it makes sense to set up two campaigns - one for Greek speakers in Greece and one for English speakers in Greece. This way you can target the Greek speakers with ads in Greek which point to the Greek version of the website, whilst advertising in English to the Englsih speakers with the English version of the website being the target. You can also use Greek or English keywords in each campaign.

You shouldn't combine languages since you cannot control the language of the ads served.... or, by extension, the language of the landing pages.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Greek is unique and an exception in language targeting:

Greek is one of a few languages (Greek; Hebrew; Thai, Vietnamese...) that the alphabet determines the language. If a user searches in Greek he will get to see ads in Greek, no matter what his language preferences are. So, you don't need to set a separate campaign in Greek.

You can one campaign with two ad groups: one in Greek and one in English. Set set languages to English and Greek

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

My bad.

I do still feel that for the sake of budgeting and overall camapign management it is generally a good idea to keep languages separate. Just reduces the confusion - but Moshe's point is very valid.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I agree that for statistics and analysis, you may want to separate the campaigns. But, there times that this is becoming a task by itself, and you rather not do that,....

Take, for example, a multicultural country like mine: I target Hebrew; English, Russian, French and sometimes Arabic. I rather do that under one campaign, in separate ad groups; At the bottom line - it is a mater of preferences (of campaign management)...

stickleback wrote:

My bad.

I do still feel that for the sake of budgeting and overall camapign management it is generally a good idea to keep languages separate. Just reduces the confusion - but Moshe's point is very valid.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

The only concern here is that there is no way to then control the budget allocation between languages.

For example, your Russian visitors may be very valuable to you in terms of ROI - but there are very few of them. On the other hand, the French visitors are very numerous and that Ad Group becomes "greedy" in terms of how much of the daily budget it eats...

The only way to make sure that the Russians get their share is to give them their own budget allocation - and this has to be done at the campaign level. I guess it depends entirely on how well each language group converts - if there's no significant difference then there is no reason to segment.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@stickleback;

This is an interesting point you are raising. You are correct. I have not encountered this situation, since the client is interested to target, for example, "residents who read English and have an interest in reading the NYT". The client is not much concerned about a demographic / "mother tongue" segmentation. If the client wanted this segmentation, then I would need to restructure the campaign.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭