AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Target "All Countries" and "All Languages"??

Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I am currently trying to optimize our adwords campaign. We are selling biotech-supplies mainly to universities and medical centers in the whole world.

As such all our campaigns are targeting at the moment: "All Countries" and "All Languages". The reason for targeting "All languages" is that potential customers, even in for example indonesia, should be familiar with English as this is the language in which science is usually done and published.

But i suspect that isnt optimal at all!

Any advice how to handle this in a better way?

Targeting only english language? Splitting the campaigns?

Greets

ImI

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rhys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Target "All Countries" and "All Languages"??

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello ImI,

In my opinion, targeting all countries and all languages within a single campaign is certainly not one of the best practices.

There are many aspects which have to be reviewed like local language, local accents, how your website is created. Does your website contain any option to select language or it's an English language website which you are advertising everywhere in the world.

On top of this, Adwords will not translate your ad text in a user interface language. So if someone is searching on Google France and expecting French ads, there are least chances that your English ads will target them.

As per the best practices, ideal way is to target one country one language per campaign. And create ads based on the language you choose in your campaign.

In your case, I think you should first look at the most profitable regions of the world in terms of your business. 

Then Look at the Geographical Report for current scenario and see how various regions have performed in terms of various metrics like Conversions, CTR, clicks etc...

Then divide your campaigns regions-wise so that they perform optimally.

There are different time zones in the world and you have to be careful while setting ads in different parts of the world and make sure that users saw your ads when it's day time in specific country.

You might be interested in couple of references:

Language targeting

International Targeting

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rhys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello ImI,

In my opinion, targeting all countries and all languages within a single campaign is certainly not one of the best practices.

There are many aspects which have to be reviewed like local language, local accents, how your website is created. Does your website contain any option to select language or it's an English language website which you are advertising everywhere in the world.

On top of this, Adwords will not translate your ad text in a user interface language. So if someone is searching on Google France and expecting French ads, there are least chances that your English ads will target them.

As per the best practices, ideal way is to target one country one language per campaign. And create ads based on the language you choose in your campaign.

In your case, I think you should first look at the most profitable regions of the world in terms of your business. 

Then Look at the Geographical Report for current scenario and see how various regions have performed in terms of various metrics like Conversions, CTR, clicks etc...

Then divide your campaigns regions-wise so that they perform optimally.

There are different time zones in the world and you have to be careful while setting ads in different parts of the world and make sure that users saw your ads when it's day time in specific country.

You might be interested in couple of references:

Language targeting

International Targeting

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello ImI,

Campaigns should be targeted to local markets with a dedicated Landing Pages per market.

As Pankaj suggested, you should set your campaign per market (country)

Read More:

AdWords Language Targeting

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok!

So it would be a good solution to organize my campaigns in terms of region and lauguage and to measure their performance seperately and decide than anew. I would then have different productgroups togehter into those new campaigns. Is that OK? It would need a lot of campaigns to cover all regions, languages and productgroups with a single campaign...

So, one campaign, one region, several products?

Another thing. The site is only in english and will be so for the next several months. Do you think it would be OK to show for example french ads in France that lead to our english website?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again lmi;

Indeed that's a lot of work to do...Smiley Frustrated

I would focus, to start with, on  a few selected countries, where you do most of the business, and expand gradually.

As for your second question: Experience shows that the best would be to target each market with a campaign targeting the local language. (e.g. France in French)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV wrote:

I would focus, to start with, on  a few selected countries, where you do most of the business, and expand gradually.

As for your second question: Experience shows that the best would be to target each market with a campaign targeting the local language. (e.g. France in French)

Would you do an extra campaign for every country + product?

For example:

France - Apples

France - Oranges

France - Lemons

Italy - Apples

Italy - Oranges

...and on on. Or is it better to go with one France Campaign with all the "fruits" in it? I am asking this cause i read often that its recommended to have on campaign per product.

And my second ( and last Smiley Wink ) question. When i show ads in the local language and my site is still english will those vistors be "angry"? I mean they expect to get a french website and get an english one...

Thx aaaaaalot!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

lmi;

The campaign, in your example, should be for fruits in France with a landing page in French.

Use ad-groups for the various kinds of fruits.

Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Imi
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thx!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

But what if I don't knOw what is the correct word of the mother tongue language of the country? I can't rely on Google Translate 100% let's say I target Japanese but I don't know how to write as I only know English...maybe google adwords should auto Translate our adword according to user or Country language preference.