AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Target outranking share

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I tried using Target outranking share in flexible bid strategies (chose a competitor and 20% of the auctions) and discovered AdWords raised my some of my keyword bids to the maximum I approved. Isn't this whole bid strategy is to raise bids only when competing vs. a specific competitor and not globally on each keyword that competed? I thought my bids will be raised only "against" this specific competitor and not on all auctions..

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Target outranking share

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Naomi, I'll admit I've not used this strategy in any of my Accounts.  I'll ask around and try and get some informed advice for you.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Hi Naomi S,

The Target Outranking Share bid strategy should be used when you want to appear higher than another domain's ads on the Search results page and when you want to show your ad when theirs is not present.

Imaging this scenario: You generally appear in position 3 when your ad shows. Your competitor generally shows in position 2 when their ad shows. You want to appear in position 1 when they show, or have a better chance of appearing in the auctions that they do not appear in.

But remember - "When your ad outranks another ad, it is displayed above the other domain's ad on Google search results pages or shows when the other ad does not. It’s important to understand that this strategy doesn’t necessarily improve your overall ad rank; it only works to help you improve your rank in comparison to another domain’s ads. (source)".

You might be getting confused to the "Position Above Rate" which is how often the other participant’s ad was shown in a higher position than yours was, when both of your ads were shown at the same time.

The Outranking share metric has a couple of differences; it is the rate in which your advertiser outranks the competing advertiser - not the other way round, and it covers auctions in which the competing advertiser may not be showing an ad impression at all. 

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you need us to have a closer look and dig into your account.

Kathleen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You still did not answer my questions. I thought my bids will be raised only when I compete against this particular competitor, yet I see AW raises my bids to the max in some keywords on all auctions.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Naomi, I've asked for some further clarification here, I'll be sure you to let you know as soon as I find out any more information.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Looking forward for a reply

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Thanks Jon!

Naomi - please keep an eye on your email as a member of the AdWords team will be in touch!

Kathleen

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have started to use this feature too, can someone share what the Google team member had to say via email ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

In my opinion, and I might be wrong, this is just another default feature made to drain money from AdWords accounts.

In legal terms it is called lying through omission ,otherwise known as exclusionary detailing or deliberate omission, because Google omits to inform their users during the feature setup about how their bids will be manipulated in ways they might not desire and expect.

This feature just takes advantage of user envy on the position ranking of other domains and does more than just raise bids only in auctions when the competitor domain also bids.

Later edit : think about the bid raising loop created by this feature , I choose to bid higher than "domain x" , the other domain also chooses the same strategy to bid higher than my domain, then what happens ? Google always raises both our bids to the maximum allowed . Lose-Lose situation for the AdWords clients.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a follow up question on the "Target outranking share" bidding strategy:

- what if the competitor I am trying to outcompete stops bidding and showing up in those auctions? What will happen to my bids - will they be decreased to XX by automatically?