AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Target outranking share flexible bid strategy

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

Hi Guys,

Is there anyone who using Target outranking share flexible bid strategy ? I was wondering If i identified one competitor who has higher outranking percentage If I created a flexible bid strategy focusing on that competitor only what would happen if that competitor stop advertising or if they got outranked by someone else?

Do I have to re-create the bid strategy focusing on new competitor? 

Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced. 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Target outranking share flexible bid strategy

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Nisal,

If the competitor is outranked by someone else, you'd still be outranking their current position. However, if the competitor's ads are offline, I think you'll have to amend the strategy accordingly. As this was a recent release, I'm not able to find an article that confirms my thought, but going by logic, that's how it should be working.

- Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Nisal,

When your ad outranks another ad, it is displayed above the other domain's ad on Google search results pages or Shows when the other ad does not. ( As Per the Help Centre). 

f two domains are both using target outranking share, the strategy will increase each domain’s bid until one of them reaches their maximum bid limit. The participant with the best bid and quality score will earn the higher ad rank.Irrespective the competitor is advertising or not, the final placement is ultimately determined by the outcome of the ad auction, which is influenced by advertiser competition and Quality Score.

Correct me If I am wrong here.

- Prashanth Reniguntala

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi

I think you haven't understood the question here. My question is, once I targeted one competitor ,in case if they stopped advertising or in case there were another one came in to the top ,who has better outranking share than my targeted competitor?

how my ad will react?

As per my understanding , I have to made another flexible bidding strategy targeting the new comer to compete with him in the ad auction.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Nisal, I believe you're correct that you would need to set a new benchmark domain should the other advertiser stop advertising, however, I'd like to throw a few words of caution into this thread...

I think everyone has to be very careful when considering using this new strategy.  I (and many of my peers) have long said that a policy of attempting to outrank your competitors, disregarding return on investment or other performance metrics, is a poor way to run AdWords and this strategy appears to do just this.  Bear in mind this strategy is also available to your competitors so the only likely outcome of applying it is that you'll both end up paying more per click than you currently are, until both of you reach the point at which you no longer make a profit.  This cannot be a good approach and I would very strongly recommend you consider why you're applying this strategy and whether it has any value for you.

The only situation in which I would possibly use this strategy would be for brand terms, when I was (operating on behalf of) the brand owner. But even in this case, ROAS tends to be so high that you can simply set an absurd Max CPC and still make a very healthy profit, there doesn't seem to be a need for a specific "strategy".

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the explanation and tips! I agree using this could be tricky and even dangerous on ROAS driven campaigns. However as you already mentioned I wanted to try this on two type of campaigns.

1. Brand campaign which has very low outranking share with a certain competitor.
2. Generic campaign which only focus on search and branding without considering the ROAS.

I'm not sure how it will impact since this is very new and I guess trying it would be the best way to understand this Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nisal,
I am agreed with Jon. Before choosing bid strategy you should now about your goal. If you have limited budget then i would not suggest to go for outrank share option. As john said you can bid for the brand name.

My overall suggestion is try to change the bidding strategy every 15 days to analyze your goal