AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Target & Bid vs. Bid Only on RLSA

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've read in the past that for a new RLSA campaign I need to run on Bid Only until I accrue 1000 cookies into the remarketing list before I can switch settings to target & bid.

My questions are:

- What if I select an existing remarketing list that already has 1000 cookies in the list - can I kick off the RLSA campaign with target & bid?

- What is exactly is target & bid vs. Bid Only for RLSA. My vague understanding is that under Bid Only an ad can enter the auction when ANY of the Flexible reach options (such as Placements, Topics, Gender, Age, Interests) meet the criteria? And Target & Bid means that it must check off all of those conditions? Does this mean that for Display target & bid means that to enter the auction a keyword (ipads) & placement (amazon.com) must both match in order for the auction to bid - whereas for bid only only one of the criteria can apply?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Re: Target & Bid vs. Bid Only on RLSA

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Johnny;

When using "target and bid" the AND condition applies, and criteria for all targeting methods is "true", while in "bid only" the OR condition applies.

Now, before the list has 1000 users  you want to quickly "fill in the list"  to get  the RLSA campaign launched as quickly as possible. So, you expand the reach by using the bid only. 

Remember: users are added to the; list by visiting your site.  The target and bid vs bid only applies to the targeting audience (to whom) the ads are shown on the display network prior to visiting the site.

Once a user visited the site he/ she are added to the Remarketing list and you target them in a RLSA  campaign  using keywords when they search on Google.  (RLSA  is unique  in the sense that it combines users added to the list on the display network,  and then re-targeted in a search campaign.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So to clarify, are you saying that when you have a search network campaign set with RLSA, if you run it as "bid only" it is in effect targeting more than just your audience list you have assigned to it?

It is common to set RLSA campaigns to broad match modifier or even broad match to expand the reach since you already have a good sense of the audience. In this case, if you set it to "bid only" is it in effect serving impressions to both those who visited your site, AND those who it would hit under BMM (who may not have visited before)?

Seems like if that is the case you'd ONLY want to run it with "target and bid" to ensure you were actually, you know, targeting the intended audience...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Moshe, could you clarify on what you mean when you say target & bid or bid only only applies to the audience who were shown ads on the GDN prior to visiting the site?

Also, in RLSA is the only option to layer on the audience to each of the ad groups? Or can it be applied at the campaign-level?

Cheers

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I totally agree that it is concerning, and I have the same speculations that Bid Only on RLSA disregards previous site visitors. My only real question was whether or not I could kick off the campaign with an Audience remarketing list that already had 1000 cookies (ie: the same list that the display campaign would use), or if I had to accrue 1000 cookies that were tied to this new campaign before it would be eligible. I understand opening the flood gates with Bid Only helps reach that 1000 target faster, but I'd like to bypass it altogether to avoid wasted non-retargeted spend.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Johnny,

For RLSA, "Target and Bid" and "Bid only" are generally used in two different scenarios.  Let's say you run an online store selling footwear and you've found that because of high competition, your Search Keywords have to be very tightly focused on terms such as "leather golf shoes" and "orange football boots"; you get decent performance from these Campaigns but you don't get many clicks because the terms are so precise.  In this situation you could use RLSA as follows;

Apply your Remarketing list to the existing Campaigns using "Bid only".  This means you'll still be showing Ads to anyone who uses a search term matching your Keywords - not just those on the list - but you'll be able to apply a bid modifier for people on the list to perhaps boost the CPC and make sure they see your Ad.

Apply your Remarketing list to new Campaigns using "Target and Bid" and use much broader Keywords (e.g. +golf +shoes, +football +boots).  This means your Ads will now only show to people on your list and because of this you can use much broader terms to match against a wider range of search queries.  New Campaigns using Target and Bid could also focus on up-selling products like cleaning kits or waxes, etc.

You can use any Remarketing list attached to your Account - they're not specific to a Campaign.  As I've said above, if your current list was composed of people who bought shoes, you could use that list to Remarket other products from your store that would be of interest to those buyers.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Jon - appreciate your input on this. So just to clarify, let's say I go with your first option with Bid Only. If a user has previously visited our site and bids on one of our keywords, the system will check to see if any of the conditions apply, and let's say I have no specifics for Gender, Age, Placements, etc. but the remarketing list for "Previous site visitors" is layered on top of all ad groups then it is then and ONLY then that the remarketing list modifier would kick in (let's say +10%) and serve them a remarketing ad? I assume this would actually need to be a copy of the current ad groups I have but I'd need to switch up creative to become more RLSA-friendly (not a necessity but a wise choice to go with this).

I currently just copy all campaigns and make an exact replicate as RLSA. So campaign "ABC" on the lead gen side will have a copy "RLSA_ABC" that has Target & Bid and the appropriate list layered on top of all ad groups.

Let me know your thoughts!