AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Target Search Queries Which Include ZIP Code via BMM

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

One of my clients' customers frequently include a ZIP code in their search query. I'd like to target this subset of users in their own ad group. However, I'd like to avoid adding a multitude of new keywords which contain a ZIP code. Is there a way I can use a "stemming" of a ZIP code in one single Broad Match modified keyword to target searches which contain multiple possible ZIP codes?

For example, lovely Mountain View contains the ZIP codes 94024, 94040, 94041, 94086, 94087, 94303, and 94306. If I wanted to target users searching for "indian food" plus one of those ZIP codes, I could add all the keywords:

+indian +food +94024

+indian +food +94040

+indian +food +94041

+indian +food +94086

+indian +food +94087

+indian +food +94303

+indian +food +94306

But what I'm wondering is if I could use a method similar to the following:

+indian +food +94

Is it possible? Is there a similar method I should consider?

Thank you in advance!

Re: Target Search Queries Which Include ZIP Code via BMM

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Chet D

Firstly, keep in mind the way Broad Match Modifier (BMM) and other modifiers work in Adwords. It's not a simple 'stemming' of the search term, but modified terms or close variations. I.e. using 94+ as BMM (I imagine) might look for any string containing the number 94 (and possibly other numbers as well), not only 'starting' with 94....

Broad match modifier (example)

Ads may show on searches that contain the modified term (or close variations, but not synonyms), in any order.

• Symbol: +keyword
  • Example keyword: +women's +hats
  • Example search: hats for women

A Better Solution 

To target specific locations, you would probably be better using Geographic Targeting which allows you to target specific areas or a radius around a specific location.

If you do really have really high search volume for a very specific keyword string, you could perhaps experiment with Exact Match.

I hope this assists.