AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Target Location

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello guys,

Just a quick question about target locations.

If I target a specific location (let's say London) within the UK (which also rappresent a targeted location) will my ads be served more within those specific locations?

I think that shouldn't make any difference since the whole country is being targeted.

Many thanks

Oscar

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Target Location

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

If you target the whole of the UK and then target London in addition - then this addition is redundant - Google will not target London more within that configuration.

If you want to control your impressions in the London area without excluding the rest of the country, then duplicate your campaign (easy to do with AdWords Editor) and then set one to target the whole of the UK and one to target just London. Then you can play with your budget allocation to give a larger or smaller share to London.

Actually, to be more accurate, you probably want to exclude London in the UK campaign - giving you two targets : London only and the whole of the UK except London. Again, use your budget split to balance where you want the bulk of your impressions to be....

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

If you target a specific region within a county, target it, specifically, using city targeting or region targeting (if available).

You could also do that using radius targeting. ( A method I don't prefer, since not quite accurate in Europe)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

would that be beneficial?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You said you do not want to target people outside the London area  - Did I understand you correctly?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

If you target the whole of the UK and then target London in addition - then this addition is redundant - Google will not target London more within that configuration.

If you want to control your impressions in the London area without excluding the rest of the country, then duplicate your campaign (easy to do with AdWords Editor) and then set one to target the whole of the UK and one to target just London. Then you can play with your budget allocation to give a larger or smaller share to London.

Actually, to be more accurate, you probably want to exclude London in the UK campaign - giving you two targets : London only and the whole of the UK except London. Again, use your budget split to balance where you want the bulk of your impressions to be....

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for your reply, I did thik it was useless target twice the same location but I wanted to make sure that it was right.

The idea of splitting the campaign like that it is very interesting and it could be perfect for me considering that my customers are concentrated in specific areas rather than the whole country.

Thanks a lot for your help!