AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Target Location Doing My Head In

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

A Campaign targeting the US (country) with an adgroup for "Blue Widgets" (phrase match) ...

Negative Keywords are being used however, what is the most efficient way to cut down on matching for 
queries that relate to locations, using Location options (advanced) in the Campaign Settings.

Eg I'm not particularly interested in matching for queries that contain states and/or city and/or zip codes such as  -
Blue Widgets TX

Blue Widgets in Manhattan
Blue Widgets 123zipcodehere
Salt Lake City Blue Widgets

Any insights/suggestions appreciated

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Target Location Doing My Head In

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Whim,

Welcome to the AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy

=======================================================================================

what is the most efficient way to cut down on matching for 
queries that relate to locations, using Location options (advanced) in the Campaign Settings.

=====================================================================================

With advance location targeting option you can control the traffic that comes outside of your targeted location.However in your case--you have not clearly mentioned that you want to filter the traffic outside of U.S or in U.S with the city/country specific serach terms.

If you don't want to show your ads to the outside of U.S users with the search terms that cantain city or country name, you can simpley select the "People in my targeted location" in advance location setting.

But if you don't want to show your ads to the U.S users with the search terms that cantain city or country, you have to build the negative keyword list.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi :-)

I'm targeting users within the US. Ppl within the US that search for US Blue Widgets, Blue Widgets in the USA etc I am fine with. It's mainly the "noise" created by states, cities and zipcodes that I am wanting to find a more effective means of weeding out, negative keyword list isnt really practical due to the vastness.

I realise too that a less generic keyword than "Blue Widgets" such as "Blue Widgets for Some Reason" would be better too as a keyword, however there still remains the issue of lots of location based queries regardless when any form of phrase match is used.

Hard to articulate
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

In this case you have to build a long list of negative keywords with your cities and states. Yes, i understand, it creates "noise" but think in the customer’s point of view and your advertising objectives. If you are getting good conversions within the assigned CPA, so there is no need to filter the traffic.

Yes I agree search terms with some city and states do not yields positive returns, thus you can find such phrases in the search term report and add them as a negative instead of adding all the cities/states.

Adding all the cities/states/Zipcodes also reduce the Potential impression that might not good for you Smiley Happy
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I guess you want a feature request for a negative keyword that would a variable that represents the location. Because if the system knows how to match search terms to locations by parsing location names from them  it can also do the other way around , to parse location strings to avoid matching with a keyword when a location is in the search term.

Make a wish to Santa Claus Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

*tired sigh*
Was kinda hoping to be able to avoid lengthy negative keyword lists

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi, Whims!

I'm going to assume you've done your due diligence Smiley Happy and are certain that these location-specific keywords are not converting for your client.

You could try using "blue widgets in" as a negative phrase match in that Ad Group. That should help eliminate some of the traffic.

Aside from that, I'm afraid I don't know of any way to automatically filter out location markers. If it were me, I'd start by adding negatives of all 50 state names, along with both the two-letter and four-letter (some states use them) common state abbreviations, again, as Phrase match. Then you'll just have to identify and block city names as you see them in your search results.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hey there Theresa :-)

Appreciate everyone's suggestions and inputs.

Am armed with lists of states and state abbrev. have also put in "blue widgets in" and "county" as negatives.

Was doing some research too.. evidently there are over 30,000 towns/cities/suburbs in the US and over 42,000 zip codes :-0

wish there was some way to use variables, would make negating zip codes a lot easier
or better still an option - I dont want to match for queries that include zip codes
or I dont want to match for queries with towns/cities.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Try posting in here, it is the "Santa Claus" wish list from last year: 

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Community-lounge/What-AdWords-features-would-you-like-Santa-...

or just the feature request form :

https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/cfeedback

Good luck at getting it implemented Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Thanks Adrian, put it in as a feature request.

Wont hold my breath on it, but hey, worth a shot