AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Target CPA

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I m planning to change my bidding strategy from manual to target CPA.

I have got a big account with 130 campaigns divided by match type and country (8 countries).

Obviously each country has a different CPA. Would you suggest to create a unique CPA target and associate it with all 130 campaigns, or you would suggest to create a CPA target for each country ?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alessandro B
July

Re: Target CPA

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Alessandro B definitely go for separate strategies for each Country, a single strategy would never be effective across so many territories.

I'd also suggest applying the Target ROAS strategy to just a few of your Campaigns initially, making sure you see the results you want before applying to more.  Bear in mind all such strategies take several days, possibly longer, to "learn" how to run the Campaign and results are not always guaranteed, so it's worth testing before applying everywhere.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alessandro B
July

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Alessandro B definitely go for separate strategies for each Country, a single strategy would never be effective across so many territories.

I'd also suggest applying the Target ROAS strategy to just a few of your Campaigns initially, making sure you see the results you want before applying to more.  Bear in mind all such strategies take several days, possibly longer, to "learn" how to run the Campaign and results are not always guaranteed, so it's worth testing before applying everywhere.

Jon

Target CPA

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

As long as it might take, I would understand the trends, CPC's and CPA's of all countries individually and then target a CPA based on that. You might be able to combine the targets as a European, Asian, Oceanic etc.

Target CPA

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Jon_Gritton

one more question: how would you test it?

Would you test it in the main campaign via adwords experiment by applying 50% manual bidding y 50% target cpa, or, you would apply the target CPA in the main campaign and then review results in 1 month?

This second solution might not take into account seasonality (a month can drive more o less traffic and users can be more or less likely to convert).

Any thoughts about those 2 points?

Thanks! 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Alessandro B bidding strategies take a while to "learn" how to apply themselves, so they need at least a week before they might begin to do what you want.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of Campaign Experiments, so I'd simply apply the strategy, then watch it over the next few weeks to see if it reaches the target you've set.  If it does, try increasing the target slightly, then repeat as necessary.

Be aware that I've found sometimes that if you set too high a target ROAS, the system is able to reach it, but at the expense of spend.  In other words, you get a higher ROAS, but you're spending much less so overall profit goes down.  It's a balancing act, get a good ROAS, but don't try too hard so that you lose out on total profit.

Target CPA

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Jon_Gritton,

many thanks for your suggestions! 

I will be using target CPA rather than target ROAS, so i ll able to focus more on profit!