AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Target CPA availability

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

It used to be that when you started a new campaign AdWords would wait for about a week (assuming you had enough conversions) before you could activate the conversion optimizer.

Recently however I noticed you can turn Target CPA on in as little as two days.

It seems that if you turn it on too early though traffic and spend drop significantly however it's hard to compare it to leaving CPC for longer (in terms of how long it will actually take to train)

Anyone have any insights into this ?

Is it better leaving CPC on for longer or turning CPA on and letting it slowly learn ?

Thanks !

1 Expert replyverified_user

Target CPA availability

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Alda R;

With CPA, the more conversions you have over a longer period of time the better. This is a machine learning algorithm. It needs both time (the distribution of conversions during or the day and during the week) and, of course, the costs.

My recommendation,  for a reliable statistical  sampling, have at least around 100 conversions within the last 30 days. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Target CPA availability

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks MosheTLV

This is understood, however my question was regarding which approach is better since AdWords now lets you set target cpa early on.

So another way to put it would be which is a better strategy, yielding better results after 30 days:

1) Run CPC for 10 days then change to CPA (as was once forced by Adwords)

2) Run CPC for 1 day then change to CPA (as is now enabled by Adwords)

Thanks

Target CPA availability

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Alda R;

(EDIT: Ouch... I accidentally mentioned myself)

I am not aware of any Google's recommendation to set a CPA in a shorter period. Google's recommendation is 30 over 30 days, mine's is 100 over 30 days.

>>"To maximize results and give machine learning algorithms enough data to make informed bidding decisions, we recommend that you have at least 30 conversions in the past 30 days. It also helps if your ad group or campaign has received conversions at a similar rate for at least a few days.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6268632?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Target CPA availability

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks MosheTLV

Do you know then why they now enable setting CPA so early where as before they didn't ?