AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Target CPA and changing conversion goal from opt-in to sale

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The account I'm currently managing has 100% of our campaigns set to Target CPA bidding, based on an opt-in conversion that converts at about 13%, a $3.00 CPA, and pretty significant volume.

We're planning on switch our conversion "goal" from an opt-in to an actual sale that happens after the initial opt-in. I'd like to keep Target CPA bidding in place (at a much higher CPA) once/after this switch happens, but I'm not sure the best approach to doing so.

Since our conversion rate will drop from about 14% to <1%, what's the best way to manage this transition with Target CPA bidding? Do I need to switch all campaigns back to CPC bidding while the AdWords system recognizes the new (lower) conversion rate or can I just suddenly shut down the Opt-In conversion action and raise all the Target CPA bids up to $65?

If anyone has done this before, I'd appreciate hearing your experience!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam H
September 2015

Re: Target CPA and changing conversion goal from opt-in to sale

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Adam,

Here you are changing the Conversion Funnel. Currently, you are using target CPA bidding in all campaigns. But Target CPA works best in accordance with Past Data/Conversions. Now You are saying that you are trying to change the Conversion Funnel. So in This Case, Your campaigns would have zero data, so It will not perform and not give results.

So your theory is right:- Change Target CPA into Manual CPC and keep them run for some time then you can change it into Target CPA or Target ROAS flexible Bidding strategy. So that System would have enough data to make the bidding model for target CPA or Target ROAS.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
If the opt-in goal has to occur earlier in the sales funnel in order to complete a purchase, then keep that goal active. Assign conversion value(s) to the sales goal. Now, enable your conversion value columns, and start adjusting your CPA bids accordingly.

Remember it's all about the adgroup with CPA bidding. Make sure your most valuable terms are protected in their own adgroups, and keep as much budget as necessary to maintain 100% impression share.

With CPA bidding the more conversion data the Google machine has to work with, the better the performance. "Softer" engagement goals earlier in the funnel can still be of value.
Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam H
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Adam,

Here you are changing the Conversion Funnel. Currently, you are using target CPA bidding in all campaigns. But Target CPA works best in accordance with Past Data/Conversions. Now You are saying that you are trying to change the Conversion Funnel. So in This Case, Your campaigns would have zero data, so It will not perform and not give results.

So your theory is right:- Change Target CPA into Manual CPC and keep them run for some time then you can change it into Target CPA or Target ROAS flexible Bidding strategy. So that System would have enough data to make the bidding model for target CPA or Target ROAS.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’