AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Taking AdWords ad scheduling too far? It's possible!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Very simple question:

How can I schedule ad rules based on day-of-month, not day-of week?

My product has a monthly cycle where people compare services mid-month and convert higher in the turn of the month. I'd like to optimise to increase bids for when the conversion rate is likely to be highest.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bilbo B
September 2015

Re: Taking AdWords ad scheduling too far? It's possible!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Lari,

It's possible to change rules by using automated rules. I've made up an example screenshot of what such rule might look like:

rules.PNG

As you see, the rule is to launch changes on 20th day of every month. You can choose the ad groups and campaigns that would use the rule and set the requirements of launching it. 

Of course, then you'll need another rule of turning this one off, for example, on the last day of every month. 

Hope this helps.

milda prušinskaitė

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for - because I'm not sure if such a facility exists.

As a work-around, what are these customers doing at the end of the month that they aren't at other times? My thoughts are to target that action, and leave it as an on-going campaign that would only be triggered when someone's looking for that particular aspect of your business. Does this say anything to you? (I'm also around if I've not explained this well enough or you want to ask questions on this).

Do you have a remarketing campaign? An email list (which by and large helps with the issues when people are comparing services and not at the point of buying).

If you see the answer to your question in this discussion, please mark that post as an accepted solution so it can help others like you to resolve their issue in the future.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bilbo B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Adding to what Milda and Gemma have already told you, I think that AdWords Scripts are also a way to go, especially if you have several rounds of bid raises.

You may start here: https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/your-first-script and find a script which is pretty close to what you want and then have someone customize it (or customize it yourself if you're a little familiar with scripting).

The advantage with scripts is that they can run more often than rules and thus you can run them several times a day. If the date condition is met (and other conditions that you may set) the script does something, if it's not, it doesn't do anything.

But clearly, as Gemma says, timed remarketing can also help a lot, just in case those people don't search that much towards the end of the month or of they forgot about your product.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Lari, further to all the other advice you've received, make sure you target the right period of the month when looking to alter bid for the highest conversion rate.

Your original post doesn't give any indication of your intentions but if, as you say, you are seeing people comparing services mid-month, then converting towards the end of the month, then it's mid-month you need to increase your bids and the end of the month.

Why?  Because you want to ensure your Ads are prominent mid-month for the initial comparison then you also want to make sure your Ads are equally as prominent when those visitors return with their final decision.  If your Ads drop "out of sight" in either of these two periods you run the risk of either losing their initial comparison visit or having them choose a competitor when they cannot find your site later.

Be very careful about adjusting bids for conversion times.  Make sure you examine the "Time Lag" data in Multi-Channel Reports under your Conversions tab to get a good idea of the path between first click and conversion.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits