AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Tablet Device Exclusions

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

The users you typically target aren’t using tablets. Is it possible for you to not show ads on tablets (if not, what are some alternatives)?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Kelly W (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Tablet Device Exclusions

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Juliana,

With the introduction of Enhanced Campaigns back in July, the functionality of excluding tablets was removed from AdWords. Our rationale is that users are increasingly searching on multiple devices all the time. For example, I will often browse the web on my phone if I am out and about, or on my computer when I am at work; but, if I am sitting at home, I will likely browse on my tablet. We have found that most users interact with websites like this and therefore have made it easier to reach traffic from all devices.

One thing to keep in mind is that tablet traffic can be understated because some customers who click a tablet ad sometimes switch to a laptop or desktop computer to complete their purchase (or pick up their phone and call the business) rather than using a touch-screen keypad to enter their credit card numbers, billing and shipment info, or complete a form.

In addition, it's important to make sure that your website is optimized for tablets so that users can have a great experience on your site. If they are unable to interact with your website on a tablet, it will definitely lead to a lower number of conversions.

We actually just announced estimated total conversions at the beginning of this month, which should help you to understand how tablet traffic is really affecting your business. This article on our Blog might also be worth taking a look at as well.

Cheers,

Kelly W.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Please follow the following thread for a discussion on this:--
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Exclude-Tablets-in-Enhanced-Campaigns/td-p/1...
Warm Regards
Byomkesh Kumar (https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=82153512)

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Only in the GDN is now possible to choose a small set of Devices as targeting , which are mobiles and this excludes all others including tablets, desktops and mobiles which are not in the list.

2) I have noticed that the placement gmail has no impressions from tablets, even if users are opted in to a gmail application.

3) Estimated total conversions, including Cross-device conversion column should now assist AdWords users in understanding that tablets also help maybe in the research stage of conversions. 

The problem is that on many tablets the default memory is small and people use free software to clear the cache and cookies. This prevents tablet usage

4) From the Display Planner we can also see the traffic per placement , per devices and some placements have very low traffic from tablets, if we want , we can choose such placements.

Edit :

5) Also at the landing page we can split them by asking them to click on "Visiting from desktop" or "Visiting from Tablet ?Go to site version for tablets" and the audience which clicks on "...tablet" can be excluded from search or GDN campaigns later on.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

HI,

Just want to add one more point here:-

I have just controlled and was able to reduce the Cost/conversion on tablet device by using automation bidding Tool like:- CPA, ECPC and DCO.

As we know that CPA bidding works on the Conversion basis, it does not consider the Device. so to avoid facing higher CPA in tablet, use the Bidding option like CPA and can run the campaign in a DCO mode.

Similarly, ECPC bid increase/reduce your bids by 30% for each ad auctions that are more likely to be convert.

I have used all these three tricks to get the cheaper conversion on Tablet device. If you are using these method, systems automatically exclude the tablet when you are not getting any conversions.

Here you can see the Snapshot For DCO campaignsDCO.png:-

Here you can see the report of CPA campaigns.

Search CPA.png

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Kelly W (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Juliana,

With the introduction of Enhanced Campaigns back in July, the functionality of excluding tablets was removed from AdWords. Our rationale is that users are increasingly searching on multiple devices all the time. For example, I will often browse the web on my phone if I am out and about, or on my computer when I am at work; but, if I am sitting at home, I will likely browse on my tablet. We have found that most users interact with websites like this and therefore have made it easier to reach traffic from all devices.

One thing to keep in mind is that tablet traffic can be understated because some customers who click a tablet ad sometimes switch to a laptop or desktop computer to complete their purchase (or pick up their phone and call the business) rather than using a touch-screen keypad to enter their credit card numbers, billing and shipment info, or complete a form.

In addition, it's important to make sure that your website is optimized for tablets so that users can have a great experience on your site. If they are unable to interact with your website on a tablet, it will definitely lead to a lower number of conversions.

We actually just announced estimated total conversions at the beginning of this month, which should help you to understand how tablet traffic is really affecting your business. This article on our Blog might also be worth taking a look at as well.

Cheers,

Kelly W.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,
But don't you think that with this new settings advertisers are forced to show their Ads where Google wants rather than advertise? For example advertiser like me who just want to target mobile devices are left with no choice.
I am sure these new settings might have lots of new functions which can benefit many advertisers but is it not a good idea that Google should facilitate those advertiser too who want to have freedom of choice of selecting the device?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The higher click rate on tablets is making Google 3-4x more expensive for us to use as an advertising channel. We provide a range of PC games from major publishers- they only run on PCs, so every other format is very poor for conversion. We have to reach people on PCs. ATM we target sites who have 75-80% of traffic is from PC's, however we get 2-3x the click rate on those sites from tablets. I don't believe the people browsing those sites are trying to download our games on tablets in anything like those numbers. Is there anything else we can do to stop wasting ads on people who can't engage- it's not good for anyone!