AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Sudden Drop in CTR from Feb 14th

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've noticed on a couple of clients that we have had a drop in Adwords CTR from 14th February (2013).   These are both sites that advertise nationally on Google.co.uk

The campaigns and targeted pages were otherwise fairly static. Bids and ad text had not been changed, and there appears to be a very slight imprrovement in average position. QS is still high, 10 on most terms. Despite this, the most noticeable one has gone from a very consistent 1.5%-1.7% CTR to around 1%, and has remained there since mid February.

Han anyone else noticed a change? Could this to do with product ads getting more prominent listings?  Impressions is not significantly down, average CPC is the same, and it appears to be on all the high volume ad groups.

The same clients are running product ads which are working quite well, so they may be canibalising come of their own traffic, but I need to try and find and explaination, as total traffic from PPC has dropped.

I'd like to hear back from others running larger accounts in the UK so we can compare notes!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sudden Drop in CTR from Feb 14th

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jonathan,

You've already gone through the normal things I would have asked... Hmm... Do you know if their competitors have changed ad copy?

Is it an issue across all campaigns?

And just to clarify, it's for more than one client? If so are they in the same industry?

Ryan.

Ryan.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jonathan, you haven't mentioned your average position.  Has this changed at all?  How old are these Campaigns - are they old enough to look at data for Feb 2012?  Has the change been gradual or sudden?

I have to say I'm seeing drops in CTR across many of my client accounts but it's not something that looks anything other than seasonal and it's not particularly worrying over a period as short as two weeks.  February is an odd time of year.

What business are your clients in?

J

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the quick response, and yes, client is Autobulbs and mainly sells automotive lighting, so as the days get longer, traffic tends to drop. This starts to be noticed in March usually, with January being the busiest month.

To answer the questions: 

• Change was sudden, on a single day, not a gradual decline. It was 13th February.
  • I've checked last year, and there is some fluctuations in CTR, as you expect, but generally it is averaging a little over 1.7%. It goes as low as 1.57% and as high as 2.05%. However, there is not the sudden marked change seen this month. This February showed such a difference between the first and second half it's noticeable.  Since the drop the variation has actually been low - between 1.01% and and 1.14%.
  • Position in the first half of Feb averaged 2.7. since the drop it has averaged exactly at 2.7 as well. There is a bit of fluctuation, but nothing remarkable.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Addition: There has been an increase in impressions (this is search only - product ads are seprate campaign). It's not enough to explain all the drop, but may explain some of it. Average clicks per day are down.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Try first in Analytics to hint what may have caused it.

Also, Check your impression share! perhaps there's a new kid on the block (competitor) who may have eaten your lunch...

Frankly, i once had a similar story, turned out that some online puzzle got really popular that day and unfortunately included my keyword, which of course caused a horrible mess... keep checking your search query report...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've seen something similar in my US account....impressions up, CTR down...as of on or about Feb 19th. No real movement in other numbers, such as impression share. Not sure what is happening. I'm curious if you've come up with anything else or if anyone else has noticed this in their accounts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Smiley FrustratedI have noticed the same sharp drop in all sudden form the 10th February, from an average CTR of 2.5% and 3.5% to 1.75% and 1.40%. I took 2 approaches, one I contacted Adword help and the second, I analysed the changes in my ad campaign and competitors, in terms of bidding strategy and ad duplication or similar “copying from my ads”. I noticed that some competitors had increased their bid by 30% between 1pm and 15.30pm, pushing down my ad and my CTR, also one of the competitors introduced 4 more websites… But the most important factor is that Google Adword has finally introduced new algorithm to invalid clicks from competitors IP addresses, which used to send CTR sky high and distort Google analytics. I would suggest, using the latest IP addresses Lookup, domain IP address reverse, block them, re-check your targeted area, negative keyword exclusion through the shared library, increase your bid through automation for accurate timing and refresh your ads.