AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Sudden Drop in Ad Group Performance

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I have an ad group with keywords that were working very well up to now (about 3% CTR which is good for the industry), and a QS of 7 for most of them. My position was 2-3 for a long time. The last month I've seen almost no conversion from this ad group, and my avg. position went down from 2 to 5.5. I used the ad preview tool to check, and saw my ad hardly appears because of "low ad rank". 

I'm using conversion optimizer, do you think it could have reduced the bid automatically to such a low point where i'm not even appearing on the first page? This was my best performing ad group, and now I'm getting nothing from there. 

I haven't changed anything in the ads. 

Thanks 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Sudden Drop in Ad Group Performance

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi PPCer,

Conversion Optimizer, in my experience, can take a while before it is functioning in its best state.  I'd be interested to know how long you've had the CO running on this campaign, what has happened to your CPCs and which networks you are targeting on this campaign. 

I found this article about Troubleshooting Conversion Optimizer that suggests the possibility of what you are experiencing.

You could try raising your CPA bid to allow for higher CPC bidding.  It is generally recommended to start CO with Google's suggested CPA bid to start. 

For me, when I experimented with CO on well performing campaigns, I found that for some of them, I was able to better manage the campaigns manually.

If you've had CO running for a month and you're not seeing any conversions, I would definitely take action very soon.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi PPCer,

Conversion Optimizer, in my experience, can take a while before it is functioning in its best state.  I'd be interested to know how long you've had the CO running on this campaign, what has happened to your CPCs and which networks you are targeting on this campaign. 

I found this article about Troubleshooting Conversion Optimizer that suggests the possibility of what you are experiencing.

You could try raising your CPA bid to allow for higher CPC bidding.  It is generally recommended to start CO with Google's suggested CPA bid to start. 

For me, when I experimented with CO on well performing campaigns, I found that for some of them, I was able to better manage the campaigns manually.

If you've had CO running for a month and you're not seeing any conversions, I would definitely take action very soon.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom, 

Thanks for your help with this.

I wasn't much of a believer in CO and now even less. I've switched my campaign back to manual bidding and fixed up the bids, and I'm of course seeing an improvement in my ad position.

The strange thing is I didn't change my CPAs since I began with CO a few months ago, and it was working fine until now. So I can't udnerstand why it would suddenly start making a mess of things. 

Thanks again

Gilad