AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Structuring Account for Multiple Location Targets

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've got a question for the experts about account structuring...

Trying to setup campaigns that target specific cities surrounding and including Toronto. This will enable us to budget differently for each city vs the whole area.

Campaign 1: City A

Campaign 2: City B, and so on.

Each area would exclude the areas so there would be little risk of ads being served up twice and competing with our other campaigns.

The question is really about how to structure the Ad Groups beneath the campaigns.

My instinct was to setup the account like this:

Campaign 1: City A

—— Sample Ad Group (SKAG)

———Ad A

———Ad B

———Ad C

The concern is that the ad groups and ads would essentially just be duplicated across the other campaigns. There isn't a real need to create unique ads/content for each city as the message remains the same, only difference might be the mention of the particular city.

Any suggestions on setting up the account for this type of location targeting without posing any duplication/competition issues across the campaigns?

- or - is setting up an initial campaign with ad groups and ads and just duplicating and retargeting for the next region kosher?

Appreciate your time!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mat B
September 2015

Re: Structuring Account for Multiple Location Targets

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello Mat B,

this is absolutely legitimate way that you are proposing. You don't have to be worried about your campaigns competing with each other because you are always targeting different city.
Therefore you can easily use the same keywords across your campaigns, it's completely fine.

Alex

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mat, you're right to be concerned about the accuracy of Location targeting by IP as it can be terribly unreliable.  That said, IP targeting isn't the only method Google uses to determine location especially for mobiles which can in many cases be extremely accurate so there's going to be an element of testing involved.

Note that it's not necessary to explicitly exclude other cities in the Account so long as you choose the "People in my targeted location".

The other alternative is to try using location based Keywords (e.g. "widgets in Toronto").  These are obviously accurate to intent but their disadvantage is they require the user to include their actual city, which they either might not do at all, or might use a suburb, etc.

It's not uncommon for Accounts to end up using several methods together but at the end of the day you're almost certainly going to have to suffer some "overlap" if the cities are close together.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello Mat B,

this is absolutely legitimate way that you are proposing. You don't have to be worried about your campaigns competing with each other because you are always targeting different city.
Therefore you can easily use the same keywords across your campaigns, it's completely fine.

Alex

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Alex, I appreciate the response.

My only remaining concern is around how well Google can actually delineate between each neighbouring city target. Assuming it's primarily using the users ISP to determine location, won't that be terribly skewed?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mat, you're right to be concerned about the accuracy of Location targeting by IP as it can be terribly unreliable.  That said, IP targeting isn't the only method Google uses to determine location especially for mobiles which can in many cases be extremely accurate so there's going to be an element of testing involved.

Note that it's not necessary to explicitly exclude other cities in the Account so long as you choose the "People in my targeted location".

The other alternative is to try using location based Keywords (e.g. "widgets in Toronto").  These are obviously accurate to intent but their disadvantage is they require the user to include their actual city, which they either might not do at all, or might use a suburb, etc.

It's not uncommon for Accounts to end up using several methods together but at the end of the day you're almost certainly going to have to suffer some "overlap" if the cities are close together.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jon_Gritton !