AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Strange client search results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I have a client who has two businesses that I manage their AdWords for. They are run through two different AdWords accounts, one is for dental services and the other is for physio services. The client contacted me the other day stating that their dental ad was showing when they searched for physio services, I double checked this both in the normal Google interface and in Ad Preview and could not see his dental ad in either when I searched for physio. I asked the client to send me a screen shot of his SERP and sure enough there was his dental ad and another non-related dentist's ad within the sponsored results. I have now added negative keywords related to physio to the campaign to stop this happening, but I am still baffled as to why the client was seeing them in the first place, would be great if someone could shed some light on the issue.

Could this be attributed to something the client has set up in their ad preferences? I'm not aware of AdWords using search history when showing search ads, but is this possible?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan_Mew
September 2015

Re: Strange client search results

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Dan_Mew

If you have any keywords in broad match (regular broad match), then Google will use previous queries to show ads on futher queries.

You can check if this is happening by going into your search query report and checking whether there are any "session-based" search results.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dan_Mew

Quote:

"I have a client who has two businesses that I manage their AdWords for. They are run through two different AdWords accounts,"

Before we get into your question aren't you violating the double serving section of AdWords Policy?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Den,

>> Could this be attributed to something the client has set up in their ad preferences? <<

Chances are it couldn't. It could perhaps be attributed to his searching habits in case he has a positive bias for dentists because Google is trying to please its users. Even if it did happen that way, it happened by mistake because otherwise it should not have happened. - Anyway, I'd suggest your client to repeat the searches on neutral devices that don't have the same searching history as his. 

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV,

Its true that the two businesses do share common ownership, however they do not share: product offering, pricing, UX or brand.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again;

I would leave the subject for now. I sense that, if you cannot duplicate it using preview tool, it's a client error. I would ask him to take a screenshot the next time he is able to duplicate it

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan_Mew
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Dan_Mew

If you have any keywords in broad match (regular broad match), then Google will use previous queries to show ads on futher queries.

You can check if this is happening by going into your search query report and checking whether there are any "session-based" search results.

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great info, thanks david-nationalp.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

David is right. "Broad match (session based): The search term is considered to be a variation of a keyword from your account, based on previous searches that someone has done during his or her search session." I did not pay proper attention to this definition earlier. 

* How to read the match type column

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2472708

Thanks, David. Much appreciated.

Best,

Lakatos