AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Stopping Automated Social Site Links

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Today we noticed a new link showing up on one of our client's ads.  There is nothing in the campaign setup for Social Links - these appear to be reported under "Automated Site Links".  

Can anyone tell us:

1. Where these links are coming from;

2. Confirm that they cost money when clicked. 

3. Stop them from showing. 

2015-10-02_10-15-19.jpg

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric Gehler (Badged Google Partner)
October 2015

Re: Stopping Automated Social Site Links

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Hi Reha K,

These are Dynamic Structured Snippets - a newer form of automated Ad Extensions. To answer your questions:

1. These links are coming from the information that appears for your ad's snippets reflects categories of content found on your site.

2. There's no cost for showing dynamic structured snippets for your campaigns, but you'll be charged as usual for clicks on your ad. 

3. If you'd like to opt out of this feature, you can do so by this link: https://goo.gl/V16GNy

Kathleen

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Reha,

To your Question

How dynamic sitelinks appear on your ad
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6058574?hl=en

Where do they come from: Your website based on the Destination Domain.
AdWords can determine which pages on your site are highly relevant to their current search. With dynamic sitelinks, we'll show a link to those pages with your ads.

if you want to opt out
https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/dynamic_sitelinks

A more important thing to worry about should BE:

Do you not think you should address there Location Extension issues as well and fix the Google My Business page? Shows the address as Permanently Closed via the Knowledge Graph (right hand site) on a Branded search campaign?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric Gehler (Badged Google Partner)
October 2015

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Hi Reha K,

These are Dynamic Structured Snippets - a newer form of automated Ad Extensions. To answer your questions:

1. These links are coming from the information that appears for your ad's snippets reflects categories of content found on your site.

2. There's no cost for showing dynamic structured snippets for your campaigns, but you'll be charged as usual for clicks on your ad. 

3. If you'd like to opt out of this feature, you can do so by this link: https://goo.gl/V16GNy

Kathleen

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Reha K,

Those look like sitelinks, not Social Links. Select your campaign, then go to the Ad Extensions tab. Below the tabs on the left side of the screen there's a button that will say "view:", followed by the name of the extension currently selected. Click on that and select "Sitelinks Extensions".

Clicks on these are charged the same rate as clicks on the ad, no more and no less. Often, sitelinks will improve your CTR. When you look at the data for sitelinks, it shows the CTR when the sitelink was shown. That does not necessarily mean the user clicked on one of them. The total clicks shown on that tab will not be the same number as total clicks on your keywords or ads. It could show more and it could show less.

You can remove or edit the extensions using the list at the bottom of the page.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@Eric Gehler - Thank you for the information. My efforts to locate the source of these links was slowly driving me nuts. The fact that the extensions are not controllable via the UI makes me feel a little better.

The business that is permanently closed in the screen shot is not our clients business. I will have to investigate how to address that problem for similarly named entities.

Thank you again.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@KathleenG - Thank you for the information. With the amount of effort we put into testing landing pages, etc I was shocked to suddenly see all this traffic being directed to an arbitrary page on our client's site. Opting out of these is on the to do list for all of our clients now.