AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Stopped using adwords but getting "google / cpc" showing in analytics traffic?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I ran a short adwords campaign about 5 months ago. I stopped it because I was receiving an overwhelming amount of calls from SEO companies and got absolutely zero sales from it. 

Yesterday I started receiving calls from those companies again and when I checked my analytics data this morning some of the traffic is showing as 'paid' and coming from google / cpc. I can't understand this at all, there's no money in my adwords account and no campaigns - can anyone help? 

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Stopped using adwords but getting "google / cpc" showing in analytics traffic?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Stokes,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Its probably happening because of the difference in the cookie behavior of Adwords and Analytics. Adwords cookie lasts for 30 days from the time user clicked your ad and Analytics cookie can last for as long as 6 months. Hence if somebody happens to visit your site, Google Analytics will show more visits than clicks.

See this quoted from Google reference:

Visitors return during the lifetime of a single tracking cookie
A campaign tracking cookie remains for six months after a visitor clicks on your AdWords ad. If the visitor returns to your website within those six months, Google Analytics credits the visit to the original campaign. In such cases, you can expect to see more visits than clicks.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Re: Stopped using adwords but getting "google / cpc" showing in analytics traffic?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

Welcome to Adwords Community!

Did you selected the correct date range?

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Stokes,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Its probably happening because of the difference in the cookie behavior of Adwords and Analytics. Adwords cookie lasts for 30 days from the time user clicked your ad and Analytics cookie can last for as long as 6 months. Hence if somebody happens to visit your site, Google Analytics will show more visits than clicks.

See this quoted from Google reference:

Visitors return during the lifetime of a single tracking cookie
A campaign tracking cookie remains for six months after a visitor clicks on your AdWords ad. If the visitor returns to your website within those six months, Google Analytics credits the visit to the original campaign. In such cases, you can expect to see more visits than clicks.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Strokes,

I am not sure what is happening... but one thing you could do is go in and pause all your campaigns.

This way even if there is aomething wrong with your billing, your ads won't show.

Cheers,

Shweta

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!