AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Stop word treatment in matching

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been trying to understand the behavior of matching strategies when it comes to stop words. The documentation makes no reference to how stop words are treated. A few questions come to mind related to this:

• It seems clear that some stop words are removed from queries but it doesn't seem consistent. Is there some magic going on that determines what stays and what goes?
  • Would a phrase match keyword for "in the mix" match a query such as "what is in the mix"? In other words, are stop words preserved for phrase matches?
  • Would an exact match keyword for [travel in Croatia] match the query "travel Croatia"? In other words, are stop words preserved in exact matches?
  • Are there differences in how stop words are treated in positive vs. negative keywords?

I'd appreciate some guidance on this.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Simeon S
September 2015

Re: Stop word treatment in matching

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Simeon,

For the purposes of AdWords and how we match queries to ads, you should think of stop words as you would any other word.

So if you have a phrase match keyword "in the mix" it will match to the query "What is in the mix" but it will not match to the query "what is the mix"

If you have an exact match keyword [travel for Croatia] it shouldn't match to the query "travel Croatia."

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Simeon S
September 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Simeon,

For the purposes of AdWords and how we match queries to ads, you should think of stop words as you would any other word.

So if you have a phrase match keyword "in the mix" it will match to the query "What is in the mix" but it will not match to the query "what is the mix"

If you have an exact match keyword [travel for Croatia] it shouldn't match to the query "travel Croatia."

Hope that helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, so no stop word removal from queries?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello, Simeon. I think you're mixing organic indexing / searching / matching (that's what Danny Sullivan talks about in his article) with keyword matching in AdWords.

A stop word, in that case, is a word which is ignored when deciding to match a search query with the information stored in the index.

We don't have stop words in AdWords (words which are extracted from the search query before they are compared with the keyword, as they explain with "the" in the SEL article), we have negative keywords, which act as explained here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?rd=1
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That explanation makes a lot of sense, thanks.