AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Still some visits/searches from Foreign Countries & Foreign Language

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I have multiple types of ad running (text, image, search etc) and when I viewing information from tools & analysis, I'm noticing some (not alot) visits in foreign languages and foreign countries. (India, Philipines and now 1 from China)

ALL of my ads/campaigns target US and English ONLY.

My settings are people in my targeted location and exclude people in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded locations.

I believe most (if not all) of these visits are direct(?).

How could it be direct if I don't even advertise in other countries??

Being that I have Languages:English & Target US Only, and Excluded I really don't understand how this is happening.

Is there any way to prevent foreign languages & countries from showing up?? 

Any thoughts or insite is appreciated

Thanks!

RPquest

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Still some visits/searches from Foreign Countries & Foreign Language

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello RPquest;

• Double check that you are targeting "people in my targeted location" (Only those who are physically located in the targeted region) and NOT "people in, searching for, or viewing pages about my location"
  • "Direct" means those who reached your site directly, by typing in the web address. - Could be?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

How many clicks are we talking about?

1 from china ... and how many from south-east asia?

In some cases Google may give the Google domain precendence over the real ip. I do not have a valid source for this, but I would suggest they do, cause it is common practice to do so. Some cases can be:

- Satellite internet connection (known IP pool)

- AOL user (typically mapped to US in general)

- Using known proxy

etc.

Depending on your advertising country and your included regions this statement may be true for up to 2% of the clicks you are seeing.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi MosheTLV,

I went and double checked all of my settings and they are correct "People In My Targeted Location".

I thought "Direct" might mean that they typed in the address too but how the heck would people from India, Philipines and China find out about my website? The only thing that would make sense is if someone from the US told them about it but I think that is really unlikely.

Thanks for the reply,

RPquest

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi ArneTR,

I don't get many clicks but I DO get visits and they all start clicking then that's a problem.

I target US Only and English Only yet according to the tools and analysis, not only am I getting visits from Foreign Countries (India more than Philipines or China) but it's also showing a Foreign Language for visits.

Although - Satellite internet connection (known IP pool), - AOL user (typically mapped to US in general), - Using known proxy

etc. *may* be a possibility, I would think that Google would pick up that it's in a Foreign Language that I am Not targeting so it shouldn't be showing at all.

Thanks for the reply,

RPquest

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

RPques;

The other thing I could think of, is that a proxy server is used to hide the user real IP

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

My guess is you are not being charged for these clicks.  I have seen visits from foreign IP addresses for sites I am only using in PPC campaigns (no organic searches, no links to the sites).  Spammers are resourceful.  Some were Russian spammers, populating contact forms.  Some appeared to be AdWords search partner companies indexing the sites.  There are some bad actors who are Google search partners.  Also, some spammers will find your site(s) via domain name records.  Don't worry too much as long as you aren't being charged for the clicks.  You'll know because there won't be any gclid= parameters in the visits (check your server logs) if you have auto-tagging enabled.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I've experienced this before. We had infact exluded the country in question and yet kept getting visits from there. What I found was that apart from proxy servers which people use, there are times when people using blackberry devices etc in places like Africa were able to access my ads that were set to the UK. This was primarily due to the fact that their devices were using Internet that was sourced out of the UK. We were able to verify this since the backend system tracked the IPs which were located in the UK itself.

In you're scenario, I think it could be primarily due to proxy servers. But as pointed above, Google filters invalid clicks and refunds you the money, which happened in our case as well. (Read more on Invalid Clicks)

Also, you mentioned that you believe that all these visits are direct, can you check the Map Overlay Reports in Google Analytics and set an advanced segment for Paid Search? You can also double check this using the 'User Location' report in the Dimensions tab.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nikhil 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi nikhilmotwani,

After reviewing some reports it appears that I currently have:

(4)Visits from Philippines * All 4 had the source listed as (direct) in analysis

2-Cecu

1-lloilo

1-Manila

(3)Visits from India *2 had the source listed as google in analysis and 1 had source of (direct).

One went to my home page and the other two went to different pages of my website.

1-Delhi

1-Haryana

1-Orissa

(1)Visit from China * (direct)

1-Beijing

The map in the analysis page indicates the visits are indeed coming from these locations.

Thanks for any additional insite on how to prevent these "other" countries is appreciated.

RPquest

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Are those visits from Google paid visits or organic visits? If you're getting paid visits, you can exclude these countries from your Adwords campaigns in the campaign settings tab (More Info: Exclude Locations from Adwords Campaigns)

If these are direct or organic visits, then you aren't paying for these visits and ideally shouldn't be affected by them. If you only want to see data for your target location, you can look to set filters in Google Analytics for this. However, a very important thing to note is that you should NEVER add filters to your main Google Anaytics profile. This is imperative since filtered data can not be undone and hence if you filter data in your mail profile, you will never be able to get the unfiltered data. Hence, you should first create a new profile and then work on that.  

If the visits are indeed non paid, I would suggest that you can probably ignore these since there can be a wide array of reasons how people found your website and digging into that might not be worthy of the effort.

Cheers,

Nikhil