AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Spending to much budget over night - need help with automated rules

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys, gotta problem with my budget over night. I´m spending too much budget between 3 am and 7 am in the early morning. 

So my budgetin my best campaign is 100 per day - but in the early mornings (3-7 am ) I want to reduce the budget by 35 %.

Can you guys please help me with this prob. thank you very much  

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Spending to much budget over night - need help with automated rules

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi There, 

The best would be to decrease your bids during the hours in question. To do this, you will need to setup Custom Ad Scheduling first (if it's search network campaign).

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404244

Also, to enable Custom Ad Schedules for a Search Network Only campaign, you will need to have 'all features' as the campaign subtype enabled.

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 3.27.00 PM.png

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

In addition to Ratan's idea of decreasing bids, you could use automated rules to decrease the budget at 3 am and increase it back to normal at 7 am.

See more info about automated rules here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497710?hl=en

(Look for the sub topic called "Budget Scheduling".)

I hope that helps!

John

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys, thank you both for your help. So John if I´m getting the info right I will have to build 4 rules

which say I like to decrease the budget of my campaign by 20 % . And this has to be made for 3am, 4 am , 5 am ,  6am?  

Am I getting this right?

maxcpc.JPG

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

I would follow Ratan-Jah's advice first. It takes seconds, the data is easily view-able, and changes are quick and easy.

Tom

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

You can create one rule to decrease the budget when you want the budget to decrease, and then another rule to increase the budget when you want it to go back to normal. You would schedule these rules to run daily.

For example:

Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 5.23.18 AM.png

Best,

John

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey there, 

I agree both methods will work and are worth testing for your business needs but ad scheduling (as @Ratan-Jhais suggested) is, in my opinion, easier than automated rules. I have used ad schedules to prevent calls to a client's business overnight or on the weekend when there are no sales reps available. It's effective and easy, here's what I do:

1. Open Campaign, click on Settings tab. 

2. Directly under Settings, select Ad Schedule (next to Locations and Devices). 

3. Click the red +AD SCHEDULE button.

4. Select the campaign you want to schedule. 

5. Under "Show ads all days and hours" click the blue hyperlinked +Create custom schedule.

6. Now specify blocks of time that you will control with bid adjustments (In your case 3 - 7 a.m.). Set up the time block you want to use a bid adjustment for and another time block for when you want the as to show with no adjustment. Save.

01.JPG

7. Below there will be a table with columns that include "Day and time" and "Bid adj." Find the daily 3 - 7 a.m. time block and set the bid adjustment as you see fit (For your example, switch to "Decrease by" and enter 35%.)

If you end up trying both, let me know which you found worked best for you!
Allie

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Admin N I'd actually take a third route...  Reducing your bids via a Custom Schedule (as @Ratan-Jha suggested) might help, and it's certainly quick and easy, but of course reducing your bids doesn't necessarily reduce your spend.  It's possible that reducing your bids will only cause your Ads to appear lower in the search results, but won't actually reduce how much you spend in that period, it all depends upon how popular your search terms are and how important the position of your Ads are.

Changing your budget with Automated Rules might work, but bear in mind that dramatic changes in budget within a day could have an effect on how AdWords shows your Ads through the day (you're sending confusing signals to the system).  If you change your budget, you'll also disable the monthly charging limit (see here:  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375423 ) so you might find your overall costs actually increase, not go down.

Assuming you need to advertise between 3am and 7am at all, I'd suggest using separate Campaigns.  Have one Campaign covering the 3am - 7am period, with the budget you want, and another covering the other hours, with it's own budget.  It may seem a pain to copy the Campaign, but there could be other advantages (for example, you may be able to optimise for the 3am to 7am period differently to the other hours).

Separate Campaigns are really the best way to manage a split spend of this type.

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits