AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Smart Display bad start?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up my first Smart Diplay advert yesterday. I understand it will take a while for the system to learn and optimise etc. However, yesterday I spent £80 for 3 conversions, my target CPA is £1.80. Is it normal for it to start this badly? 
Thanks,
Craig

2 Expert replyverified_user

Smart Display bad start?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Too early and  not enough conversions.... You should have  at least a few dozen of conversions.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Smart Display bad start?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Do you think I should just be brave and leave it for quite a bit longer? 
Craig

Smart Display bad start?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We find customers visit the websites.......consider for some time and then come back and purchase later.  So it takes two weeks to settle into a true ads/sales ratio.  £80 for 3 conversions of course might be fantastic depending on your profit margins.  Sounds like your margins are low.......so you need to drop your cost per click maximum and find more obscure keywords......it's too expensive to bid on the "obvious" keywords usually.  For instance if selling lingerie you simply cannot afford to bid on the word "lingerie" usually - you need to bid on something like "e cup bra".

Smart Display bad start?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I tried it too and was scared off a little.  I don't like the lack of control of the automated campaigns.  There were some placements that I wanted to exclude, but you cannot manually exclude placements based on performance.

Smart Display bad start?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is absolutely unacceptable. The lack of ability to exclude placements from showing your copy is major flaw. I ran a test using Smart Display and the sites appearing in the placement report were not ones I want associated with our brand. Some where very nefarious sites with content that is suspect at best. I hope they change this immediately. If not, I will pause.

Smart Display bad start?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Craig E

This is basically handing the wheel to Google and its machine learning technology. Think of your business and ask will Google be able to target more correctly based on the key criteria for your business? Does Google know enough data about its user to define who is a potential customer to target? If you're not sure about these question my suggestion would be the stop the campaign as it will likely to be failed.

I've seen quite some cases the CPA is still up high after dozens of leads generated while the targeting is not improved at all.

Thanks,

Jason