AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Small nonprofit/organization

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run the Google Grants program for a small non profit with a niche interest (human services in Fiji). I am caught between using keywords and ads that are specific to by niche (donating to Fiji) which generates very low impressions/CTR and using keywords that are too broad/unrelated that generate impressions but no clicks. Both hurt my QS and am unsure where to go from here.

How do I strike a balance? Please help!

Ben Mones

Program Developer

Naqaqa Giving Foundation

Providing direct support for the health, education and wellbeing of Fijians living in remote villages

www.fijicharity.org

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Small nonprofit/organization

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Good question Ben.

Did you try reading our Keyword Lists article by one of our senior members http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Keyword-Lists/ta-p/6204

Additionally, you can go through the best keyword list tips at http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453981 and keyword ideas at http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2470029&from=160320&rd=1

Hope this works.

Let me know in case any further issues and I'll be happy to bring more help Smiley Happy

Regards,

Rashu

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author NGFiji
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Ben,

I've done quite a bit of research on Google Grants and I've had some minor involvement previously.

I completely understand the challenges that come with the guidelines from the program but I thought I might share a few thoughts with you. 

Based on your question(s), it would appear that you're treating this account as you would any regular Adwords account.  My personal opinion is that the challenges you have ahead of you will potentially have you pulling your hair out before too long if you are treating this account in this manner.

Have you thought about just promoting the organizations message (branding) through this account?  I understand the Ad Rank problems as your bids are limited but you can dedicate a campaign or more to just promoting your message.  As previously mentioned to you by other sources, you really will need to step outside the box on a project like this.

Use search engines to your advantage, start searching for the general non-profit terms and see what is working for folks.  Then I would suggest that you pick apart the website and dedicate a campaign to each possible category on the site.

I'm going to brainstorm right here in hopes that you find an idea or two for some potential campaigns and keyword ideas.

Just running through a couple of your menus on your site here is a list:

Naqaqa Giving Foundation

Health/Medical Center

Veterinary

Emergency Relief
Clothes distribution
Eyewear distribution
Water systems
Donated Medicine
Flush Toilets
Wheelchair Program
Dental
Jazmin Grace Fund
NGF School
Special Needs Education
Local School Support
Scholarships
Joe de Becker Music Academy

I think you can see where I'm headed with this and you can do the same with the Community Development, Agriculture, Volunteer and DYFS menus. Let go of your rankings for a bit and 'Cast Your Net'. Build as many campaigns as you can come up with and add in a variety of ads that are 'touching' in message but also can display the needs of the program, while keeping within your ad guidelines.

Over time, you can run your search terms reports to refine your campaigns but I would strongly suggest that you really go after any and everything remotely related to your organization and your site.

I'm not positive but if I recall correctly, you have to get landing pages approved and may also be limited in how many you can use.  If you can use more than 1, go crazy, if not, don't worry.  Approach this as a Display Branding Campaign.  Use your ads to not only drive traffic, but also to educate and promote the organization.  The more people who see the name, the better off the organization will be in the long run.

One final thought, if you have the means, see if you can get a short, but to the point video you can place on your homepage and additional landing pages.

Good luck with everything I wish you all the best!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Good question Ben.

Did you try reading our Keyword Lists article by one of our senior members http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Keyword-Lists/ta-p/6204

Additionally, you can go through the best keyword list tips at http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453981 and keyword ideas at http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2470029&from=160320&rd=1

Hope this works.

Let me know in case any further issues and I'll be happy to bring more help Smiley Happy

Regards,

Rashu

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rashu,

Thanks for your reply. The links you mention detail how to pick correct keywords - but still does not answer my question. My group has no visibility, and we are not offering a service that poses immediate value to a consumer. To generate revenue, it would make sense for us to have flexibility in our Max CPC. Then, we could buy space for the general keywords people are searching about "Fiji" or "Charity," and then six months down the line when we are able to generate brand awareness, people will be searching for our cause. Then, keywords like "helping people in fiji" or "donate to Fiji" will be relevant and our CTR/QS will skyrocket.

In the framework of the Grants program, it's impossible to change our Max CPC. People are telling me to "be more creative and dynamic" with my keywords, or "use the keyword tool." Even negative keywords don't really help here, as nobody is searching for charities in Fiji. This is an intrinsic problem with our cause, which I had hoped Google Adwords would address - to introduce niche (but still hugely important) causes like mine to the Google Community.

Thank you, and looking forward to a reply.

Best,

Ben

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi, Ben - 

If you want to discuss the specifics of the Grant program and the bids allowed, you'll need to reach out to your Google Grants contact and talk about it with them.

While we'll be glad here in the Community to try and help you brainstorm tactics for your advertising, we can't really do anything about the Grant program's policies.

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author NGFiji
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Ben,

I've done quite a bit of research on Google Grants and I've had some minor involvement previously.

I completely understand the challenges that come with the guidelines from the program but I thought I might share a few thoughts with you. 

Based on your question(s), it would appear that you're treating this account as you would any regular Adwords account.  My personal opinion is that the challenges you have ahead of you will potentially have you pulling your hair out before too long if you are treating this account in this manner.

Have you thought about just promoting the organizations message (branding) through this account?  I understand the Ad Rank problems as your bids are limited but you can dedicate a campaign or more to just promoting your message.  As previously mentioned to you by other sources, you really will need to step outside the box on a project like this.

Use search engines to your advantage, start searching for the general non-profit terms and see what is working for folks.  Then I would suggest that you pick apart the website and dedicate a campaign to each possible category on the site.

I'm going to brainstorm right here in hopes that you find an idea or two for some potential campaigns and keyword ideas.

Just running through a couple of your menus on your site here is a list:

Naqaqa Giving Foundation

Health/Medical Center

Veterinary

Emergency Relief
Clothes distribution
Eyewear distribution
Water systems
Donated Medicine
Flush Toilets
Wheelchair Program
Dental
Jazmin Grace Fund
NGF School
Special Needs Education
Local School Support
Scholarships
Joe de Becker Music Academy

I think you can see where I'm headed with this and you can do the same with the Community Development, Agriculture, Volunteer and DYFS menus. Let go of your rankings for a bit and 'Cast Your Net'. Build as many campaigns as you can come up with and add in a variety of ads that are 'touching' in message but also can display the needs of the program, while keeping within your ad guidelines.

Over time, you can run your search terms reports to refine your campaigns but I would strongly suggest that you really go after any and everything remotely related to your organization and your site.

I'm not positive but if I recall correctly, you have to get landing pages approved and may also be limited in how many you can use.  If you can use more than 1, go crazy, if not, don't worry.  Approach this as a Display Branding Campaign.  Use your ads to not only drive traffic, but also to educate and promote the organization.  The more people who see the name, the better off the organization will be in the long run.

One final thought, if you have the means, see if you can get a short, but to the point video you can place on your homepage and additional landing pages.

Good luck with everything I wish you all the best!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

TOM = THE MAN!

That was what I needed. Thank you from the Naqaqa Giving Foundation and the people of Fiji!

-Ben

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Ben,

It could be considered drastic, but IMO, it's worth a shot.

I'm so happy to help.  Please continue to come back for more ideas or questions, this Community is loaded with some great minds. 

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ben,

I know this post was from 2012, but I came across it searching for people who are experiencing similar problems with the AdWords grant. Did you see improvement in your account after implementing Tom's suggestions?

Thank you!