AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Sitelinks to different domains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I am working for a customer that sells suits. They have 2 websites one for Men and one for Women.

With some of the keywords that people use to look for a suit it is unclear whether the person searching is looking for a mens suit or a womens suit.

So what we thought we could do was on the mens adverts have a sitelink to the womens website clearing saying "Womens Suits" and vice versa but it doesn't look like Google allows that.

Is that correct?

Our other option would be to have both sites bid on the same keywords and make the adverts clear that they are for men or women.

Have you any ideas on how to get round this?

Thanks

John

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John H
September 2015

Re: Sitelinks to different domains

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi John,

One idea that comes to mind is the send the user to a landing page that allows them to go to the other site. Now you cant create a landing page that asks them if they want to go to website A or website B, as it is against policy to send traffic to a site that is solely to send users elsewhere.

But you could say send all generic keywords to the mens site (as I am assuming that would be the majority of generic searches) but then have a clear widget or link to the site that sells female suites.

Just one idea.

Hope it helps

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

Yes, you're right. Google doesn't allow sitelinks to point to a different domain. As per the policy, Sitelinks should point to the same domain as the ad's destination URL does.

Is it your understanding (from the search terms report) that some search terms aren't specific to gender? What's the percentage of such users? 

Having the same keyword in both the campaigns cannot guarantee that relevant ad would appear. For instance, when someone looks for Men's suit, women's suit ad may appear and vice-versa. This is because both keywords are same and would compete against each other. Sometimes both ads may appear, as they're two different domains. You can still go with it, if the percentage of such users is less.

If you could make it a single domain, you can show sitelinks. Also, you can have one ad group for such terms, with generic ads (not specific to any gender) and a landing page with suits for both men and women. That way you wouldn't risk loosing the visitor.

Lets wait to hear from other experts!

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

This is a nice question;

Another way of solving the conflict is by setting a separate campaign for those "uni-sex" keywords, that would land the user on a "uni-sex" landing page. 

This is a bit against the best practice (calling to direct the user to the most relevant landing page), but there are cases in which "don't quite fit into one size" Smiley Happy

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

My suggestion would be to have ad text which clearly mentions about whether an ad is for mens suits or women's suits. This will help you get relavent click if the user if looking for mens or women's suit even though the search term is a generic term.

I am not sure how many cases of this you get to see but I believe that if a user knows what he is looking for then mostly the search terms are relavent to ad. It could be possible that the user is not sure what he is looking for or it could be a competitor checking how many ads appear on Google for suits. Personally I think this should be a very less number. If you see conversions happening for generic search terms then it's good otherwise you can just block the generic term. Maybe Analytics might give you some analysis on this.

One more suggestion would be that rather than having two different websites, may be you can have two sub domain for each categories like many e-commerce business do. This will help you to add women's suits sitelink to mens suits ads.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John H
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi John,

One idea that comes to mind is the send the user to a landing page that allows them to go to the other site. Now you cant create a landing page that asks them if they want to go to website A or website B, as it is against policy to send traffic to a site that is solely to send users elsewhere.

But you could say send all generic keywords to the mens site (as I am assuming that would be the majority of generic searches) but then have a clear widget or link to the site that sells female suites.

Just one idea.

Hope it helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I like Rahul's idea with the ad text but Clynton I think a banner on the landing page is what we will go with. Thanks for the advice.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Glad I could help!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Clynton,

Is sending one user from one website to another would be in violation of bridge page policy?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ruhul

I don't think so. It isn't like we would be tricking anyone which is why the bridge page policy was introduced.

It would simply give the user the option to go and buy a womens suit if they wrongly landed on our mens suits domain and vice versa.

Regards
John

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi John, my personal advice would be to consider why you have two separate domains in the first place as although I can think of several disadvantages (your own problem in this thread being one of them), I can't think of any specific advantages in splitting the business in this way.

I'd be strongly inclined to get another domain name, combine the two sites into one on that, then commission an SEO expert to assist with redirection and retaining organic ranking.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits