AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Sitelinks policy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I'm confused about the sitelinks policy. 

See if I'm correct:

- each sitelink in a given campaign must have a different destination URL; AND

- each sitelink destination URL must be different from the ads' destination URL.

are these two correct?

AdWords Help Center says: "We don't allow two or more sitelinks in the same campaign or ad group to point to the same landing page...". They mention "campaign or adgroup", but sitelinks are applied at the campaign level...

Another point: Whatever destination URL I used for a given sitelink must also be a destination URL present somewhere in the account. Is that a requirement too?

Thanks, 

Alfaweb

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Sitelinks policy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Alfaweb,

- each sitelink in a given campaign must have a different destination URL; AND - CORRECT

- each sitelink destination URL must be different from the ads' destination URL. - I beleive you can have one destination url same as adcopies destiantion url but only ONE because sitelink can only be applied at campign level and we often keep separate destination url per adgroup. There is 100% posibility to have one destination url repetition in sitelink as we can't control it at adgroup level. 

Example: I am advertising four services and I am not willing to have four different campaigns. I am only bifurcating adgroups for all four services. Now I am keeping separate landing page for separate services adgroups and Want to showcase all four services in sitelink. Now Since I can not control sitelinks at adgroup level, one landing page will be same as adcopies landing page.

I also beleive policies are for sitelinks and it is not related to adcopies landing page. Sitelinks can not have duplicate url's.

AdWords Help Center says: "We don't allow two or more sitelinks in the same campaign or ad group to point to the same landing page...". They mention "campaign or adgroup", but sitelinks are applied at the campaign level...

If you are adding 10 sitlinks each should point to different destination url, one url can be same as adcopies destination url as I described above. Please confirm my concept is wrong.

Another point: Whatever destination URL I used for a given sitelink must also be a destination URL present somewhere in the account. Is that a requirement too?

No, We sometimes add Sitelinks such as About us - Home - Faq - Contact Us - Testimonials and it is not necesaary that we are using these pages in our adwords account as adcopies destination url.

Hope that helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Alfaweb,

In addition to what Neha said above, I would put it in a simple way that try and use the unique destination URLs and unique site links. Make sure that the campaign where you are using sitelinks are different from the ones you are using as destination URLs at keyword or ad level within that campaign. No duplication in 2 words.

As per the recent official announcement on Adwords Blog, sitelink policy will be implemented more proactively within next few months. So in case you want to make the edits, do it as soon as possible.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Alfaweb,

Just to add to Neha's and Pankaj's responses above, sitelinks allow you to show  links to pages from your website so user's can navigate quickly and easily to other key sections of your website. Each sitelink in a campaign must link to a different landing page in order to give users a meaningful experience. You can have similar sitelinks across different campaigns in your account. However within each set of sitelinks at campaign level, the individual sitelink destination URLs must be different.

I hope this helps!

Rachel

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Rachel

Does this only mean that each sitelink destination URL must be different from each other sitelink in the same campaign, or does it (also) mean that a sitelink destination URL in a campaign may not be the same as any other destination URL (adgroup or keyword-level) in the same campaign?