AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Sitelinks: Same text, Different URL...Troubleshoot.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I am launching a set of campaigns containing a set of 4 sitelinks each which have the same link text but different landing page (url) determined by country. I believe I am doing all the setup correctly in Adwords Editor, as instructed: https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/38872

I am choosing this option.

• Create new sitelink if destination URL is different
    Sitelinks that differ only in URLs are considered distinct, so you can use CSV import or Add/update multiple tools to create a new sitelink that differs from an existing sitelink only in the URL field.

But not sure what to choose in this one: Change existing destination URLs to new URLs (default)

or if it affects sitelinks at all (frankly the support page is unclear).

When I publish I am still getting the following error message with the Shared  Library section of Adwords Editor: The shared sitelink has the same display text as another shared sitelink in this account.

Saying "Under Review" although in the web interface they are not posted. 

Wondering if it's just a bug or I am doing something incorrectly.

Any guidance or help solving this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

Moises.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sitelinks: Same text, Different URL...Troubleshoot.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Moises,

I've been through this. Despite that the sitelinks are for different campaigns and linked with different destination URL, Editor keeps showing the same error you have.

The way I used to get around this is to delude Editor that the sitelink text is different using capitalization or punctuation . For instance, if a site link text is "Buy New Car" the other would be "Buy new Car".

This's how I solved it, wait maybe community memembrs have another solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Ahmed, good to know one is not the only one going through this issues, yes, let's wait a bit see if anyone has a solution, I am about to start a chat with Google support and see if this can be troubleshooted.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you Ali, really it is solved and we are clear about this issue now.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Moises,

Apart from what Ahmed has rightly suggested here. I just want to quote this from the Help page:

Change existing destination URLs to new URLs (default)

With this option selected, you can use CSV import or the Add/update multiple tool to edit URLs of existing sitelinks. "You cannot create two sitelinks that differ only in URLs using CSV import or the Add/update multiple tool."

If you read the last line in quotes, it clearly says that two sitelinks with the different URL's will not uploaded or imported to the interface. As suggested by Ahmed, do give capitalization a try and check if it helps.

Other than this, I would suggest that since you are using the same Sitelinks (with URL's for different countries) in a campaign, why not use an country identifier like the acronym for the country like USA or UK in the ad text it self. It will also give the user who is served the ad, the option to choose which country's service or product does he/she wants to take up.

Do let us know if this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Guys,

Using different capitalization is not an option I want to try, in this case it's important for the text to conform to normal visual rules. I actually ended up uploading the sitelinks manually it was not as bad as I initially thought as often happens, sometimes going the manual way is best. However there is now within the improved bulk edit capability within the web platform - not Adwords Editor- the possibility of uploading a sitelinks CSV, and I think this is the way to go. I will try it and get back to this post.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are also experiencing this same issue when working with the new editor's "shared sitelinks". I haven't found a work around without going through the interface, which is time consuming as we have hundreds of adgroups that often share the same sitelinks with different URLs (tagging). 

I'm looking forward to hearing if anyone has a solution as well. Thanks for bringing up this topic.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Catherine, Actually it is just a setting in Editor. Go to settings and select "Create new sitelink if destination URL is different" from the second import option (When importing Sitelinks....).

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/38872?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Victor,

I actually have that setting selected but it is still not working for me. Does anyone have an update?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That solution didn't work for us as well. We ended up using shared sitelinks along with the new upgraded URL tagging at the ad group level. Hope this helps.